A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I try to be compassionate but ...

... some people just have no regard at all for others.

There was a fatality at work today. A suicide. It happens. Someone jumped in front of a speeding commuter train. Obviously, he wanted to die. He'd had all he could stand of this Life. I can't even imagine the kind of emotional pain that would drive a person to take his or her own Life. I feel sorry, not for the person who was turned to a fine mist by an 80 mph, 2000 ton missile, but for the loved ones who are now left to mourn, and perhaps to spend forever asking "why?"

But here's where my compassion really fades: This person chose to kill himself in front of a train, at the height of the afternoon rush hour. Of course, no train movements were permitted in either direction for five hours while the police and others collected widely scattered body parts and hosed the gore off the front of the locomotive. Tens of thousands of homebound commuters were stranded downtown. Some trains were diverted to alternate destinations, but the accident - and I use that word in a general sense, for it was clearly no accident - occured on the busiest route in Toronto. It may well be the busiest commuter rail corridor in Canada.

So you've had enough, have you? And you want to die? Then why not take a bottle of pills and crawl into a closet somewhere? Why cause such a great inconvenience to people whose only concern is getting home to their families after work? You inconsiderate, selfish, son-of-a-bitch!!

And what of the engine crew who had to witness it? Two men suffered the horror of sitting, watching helplessly as the train they were operating struck and killed a human being. I know. I've been in their place. The sound of it - a kind of dull thud and then a rattle as skull and bones pass beneath the floor of the locomotive - is one I will never forget. It happened about six years ago. It was dreadful!

But you're dead. It doesn't matter to you, does it? Thousands of people were affected. Thousands! And your poor family! They will have to go on somehow. Oh, how they must hate you for what you've done.

4 Comments:

Blogger gemmak said...

Hi,
Thanks for dropping by and of course I don't mind you trying the 100 things...feel free :o)

Your post today rings a cord deep within me. I post many comments on many blogs but rarely one like I'm about to, in fact never thus far.

In many ways I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, I have been a passenger on a train when an individual chose to end his/her life in the manner you describe, I have seen it happen from a platform and I have know a driver who suffered it when in control, I have also know a family who lost a loved one this way and the repercussions to all those involved is in one way or another horrendous. Many many lives blighted often forever, by the apparently selfish act of suicide. Indeed, like you say why not overdose on some toxic substance and hide away somewhere to die quietly?

I have also worked in psychiatry and sufferd from depression myself. I can't answer the question for everyone, only for myself, and from what knowledge I gained along the way to where I'm at now.

I have no idea if you have ever suffered from clinical or reactive depression, I sincerely hope not but it is by it's very nature an introspective and apparently selfish illness. When one is so completely unable to rationalise such extreme feelings of misery and darkness, perhaps for tens of years at a time, with no relief one becomes all consumed by it and any route out becomes a possible release.

Many many people who suffer this way and have done so for years, know how difficult it is for their loved ones to support them throughout, the massive impact their illness has on the lives of others and GENUINELY believe that in killing themselves they are releasing those they love from that burden, so low is the self esteem.

Belive me, suicide is not for cowards, anyone who has lived a life that ends at that point has shown courage beyond measure just to get that far.

As for why do it in such an horrific manner....that is easy, an overdose, hanging, etc. etc. have no guarantees...........being hit by a locomotive does!

So yes, I feel strongly for those who suffer one way or another by the act of such a suicide, tho being late home seems somewhat insignifigant by comparison, but I also feel equally strongly for the individual who's life was so desperately blighted by an illness over which there was no control that he/she felt that to take such extreme action was the only way out.

I don't say all this in anger or annoyance, your post did what it was supposed to, make readers think. I say it in the hope that one day mental illness will be better understood and to illustrate that there are two sides to every story.

4 August 2004 at 13:22  
Blogger Dale said...

Thanks, Gem.

I wrote that yesterday when I was still angry. I've read it again just now and although I won't change it or delete it (it's an accurate reflection of my mood yesterday), I will acknowledge that depression must surely be a dreadful affliction.

I got a wee taste of it when my wife threw me out. I suffered for nearly two years. I didn't seek professional help. Instead I relied on friends and family to see me through it. I'll admit as well to considering offing myself one dark day in the summer of 2000. But I couldn't bear the thought of hurting my kids and my family.

Thanks so much for your comments. You're my very first!!

4 August 2004 at 13:34  
Blogger magz said...

hmmmmm.... sigh.... ooooooooo....dammit! too choked to type! both a ya.. dale and Red, ....whoaaaaa...sniff... I was diagnosed bi-polar 25 yrs ago... know intimately that which you speak of.sniffsniff.... you are both GREAT writers! here's giant hugz from arizona.... (really long arms..) thank you both

4 August 2004 at 13:41  
Blogger gemmak said...

Lol....we seem to have a small 'manage a trois' going on here!

Don't even think of deleting or changing it man......it's how you felt at the time and what motivated you to post it. Your thoughts, your feeling's thats what its all about.

One day I may post properly on the subject but despite my experiences being mostly years ago it will have to be a brave day.

4 August 2004 at 18:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home