A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Another Life Lesson

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;" said Shakespeare's Polonius. "For loan oft loses both itself and friend."

I feel a little embarrassed to admit this, Ms J, but I loaned some money to a friend. A lot of money. She needed help, and I was able to offer it. It's a complicated story. Very complicated, actually. And I won't go into it here.

"Just til the house is sold," she promised. "I'll pay you back as soon as I sell the house."

That was in April. April 20th. The house remains unsold. The loan remains unpaid. And I haven't heard from her since. That money would buy a new roof for my house. Or provide a bit of comfort to a struggling relative.

So I wait. And I hope. Hoping and waiting. It's been a familiar theme lately.

Whether or not I recover this money, Ms Journal, I will have learned a lesson. The wisdom of William Shakespeare is undeniable.

"For loan oft loses both itself and friend."

Waiting and hoping. Hoping and waiting.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Do I remember you blogging about this at the time?

27 June 2007 at 16:01  
Blogger Dale said...

Yes, AC, you do. I was rather more hopeful at the time.

27 June 2007 at 16:59  
Blogger PBS said...

I've done that too, in the past and after that made up a rule to never lend out anything I couldn't afford to lose! But it's hard to enforce if you have extra and a friend is needy...

28 June 2007 at 07:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home