" ... and I'm feeling pretty proud."
Dan called yesterday. He had some news to tell me.
"I got a job, eh Dad? And I got a cell phone."
I must say, Ms J, I was surprised. Pleasantly so.
"A job? Really, Dan? Where?"
"At a pizza place. I'm making dough. Finally, eh?"
We both laughed at his pun. My son has always been quick witted and clever with words.
"And what about the cell phone, Boy?" I asked. "Is it new?"
He told me no, he'd bought it from a friend for twenty dollars. "I just buy more time as I need it."
I was smiling, Ms J. I was smiling for my son. He seemed happy. It was the first time I'd heard him this way in months.
"And I'll be getting my last welfare cheque at the end of the month. I won't be needing them anymore. I'll be looking after myself. Me and Sarah. It's gonna be a good summer, Dad. I'll be working hard and making money. Once I get a bit of savings, I'm moving out of this apartment and getting a better place."
Baby steps, Ms J. That's the way we move forward. With baby steps.
I told him he sounded happy.
"I am happy, Dad. And I'm feeling pretty proud."
"I'm proud of you too, son," I said. "I'm feeling pretty proud too."
"I'm glad to hear that, Dad. Thanks."
Could be my prayers have been answered. Could be Dan's grown up a little more. Maybe a combination of both, Ms Journal, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that my son has found gainful employment and for the time being, contentment and self-satisfaction.
Making pizza dough is not a lucrative or Lifelong career, but it's a job. And having a job gives a man purpose. A job makes a man feel proud. And right now, I'm feeling proud of my son.
I'm feeling pretty proud.
***

3 Comments:
Happy early Father's Day on Mother's Day.
That's excellent news Dale :D
Wow, good for Dan! No wonder you are proud.
Post a Comment
<< Home