A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Yawwwwn ...

Not much to tell you today. I worked a train in Oshawa yesterday. 1800 start. It was train #548, a road switcher. We serviced industries in Whitby, Ajax and Scarborough. It's tedious work, stopping and starting, moving a few hundred feet and then reversing. The locomotive was tiny, cramped inside, noisy. I miss the big, bright climate-controlled cabs on the GO trains, like the engine on the header photo above. My arms were tired from moving the levers and my neck was stiff from looking this way and that. We worked in industrial areas, Ms J, poorly lit and deserted at night. I found it hard to see the ground and referred to the speedometer a lot. The train moves really slowly when you're shunting cars. 3,4,5 mph max. Like I said, tedious. Finished at 0300. Home at 0400. I booked heavy rest – 22 hours. I hope to go to work on a GO train tomorrow morning.

Alan’s sick. Coughing and sneezing. He didn’t work today. I hope I don’t catch it. Better get to bed. CN could call at 2:00 a.m. and send me to work at 4:00.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Yikes, last thing you need is to be catching a cold or flu....make sure he washes his hands!

11 January 2007 at 23:35  
Blogger PBS said...

Hope you get caught up with your rest and don't get what Alan has!

12 January 2007 at 07:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played the Microsoft Train Simulator....I even have a CN logo'ed train. Does that QUALIFY me to a job Dale??

Sure hope not!!

I DO respect what you do Dale, the stress, the responsibility....but I don't always agree with the REASONS you have booked rest in the past...(CNE)

Take care....

12 January 2007 at 16:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home