A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Done and Dusted

And all before lunch.

I've had a productive morning, Ms J. I got busy as soon as I was home from work. I've baked lasagna and tidied up the kitchen. I've made reservations or inquirees about three different stage plays. I've read and replied to email from Jacqueline. And I've called a few more lawyers and happily found one who offered help on the phone. For free!

"Oh yes," she said, after I'd explained things once again. "I see this sort of thing all the time. You absolutely ARE entitled to information about your daughter's education. The school board have lawyers. I don't know why they don't instruct their teachers on the rights of non-custodial fathers. Do you have a pen and paper?"

I said I did.

"Write this down," she said. "This is what you need to quote to the principal at your daughter's school."

I took up my pen and began to copy.

"The Children's Law Reform Act: section 20 subsection 5. That's a provincial statute. Ontario law. I'll read it to you."

I verified what I'd written.

"Subsection 5, was it?"

"Yeah. Just write section 20 and then put a little number five in brackets."

"OK," I said. "I've got it."

"You have access to the child, right? You're allowed to see her, aren't you?"

I told the lady - her name was Bonnie - that, yes, I'd been seeing Meagan every second weekend for ten years.

"Good, then. Here's what the law says: The entitlement to access to a child includes the right to visit and be visited by the child and the same right as a parent to make inquirees and to be given information as to the health, education and welfare of the child. That's the law. The school does not have the right to deny you information about your daughter. And neither does your control freak ex-wife."

"Well, that seems pretty clear, doesn't it, Bonnie?"

"You're damn right it's clear. I'm tired of dealing with this issue. I see it every day. Often, I have to write a letter to a school board superintendant before they finally see the light. You call up that principal and quote that passage to her. Section 20, subsection 5. It's on the internet. Children's Law Reform Act. Print off the section and fax it to her if you have to, but you are undeniably entitled to receive information like report cards, etc. from your daughter's school. That is your right under the law."

Oh my word, Ms J! I could have kissed the woman! But I thanked her instead. Then I called the school.

As usual, the hoity-toity principal wasn't available so I spoke with the vice principal. Sharon. She was nice. And quite reasonable. Non-confrontational. Co-operative, even.

Second term report cards will be issued to students on March 8th. I expect to receive a copy in my mailbox, along with a copy of Meagan's first term report. My faith in the school system has been somewhat restored. And it would seem that not all lawyers are greedy pricks. Some really seem to care.

Incidentally, I asked Sharon if Meagan was in school today and waited while she checked the attendance record.

"Yes, Mr. Pringle. She's here today."

Life is good again. Now, if the girl would just speak to me ...

***

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Way to go! I guess persistence pays off. You have the benefit of being smarter than them, or more dilgent, or both. Take your pick.

1 March 2006 at 12:51  
Blogger Zulu said...

Woohoo! This is GREAT!!!

1 March 2006 at 17:57  
Blogger Michelle said...

Fantastic, and may i add that not ALL that work in the legal profession are "greedy pricks"!!
So happy to hear you got it all sorted :o)

2 March 2006 at 01:40  
Blogger Donna said...

Hurrah!!!! Go Dale ...

2 March 2006 at 04:52  
Blogger Sarah said...

1 word. Hallelujah!!

2 March 2006 at 08:04  
Blogger Dora said...

Like I said a few weeks ago - knowledge is power. Don't you feel much better now?

3 March 2006 at 17:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home