A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, September 01, 2005

This Morning

Today was my second full day at work. Yesterday, I arrived early to allow myself some extra time. I had way too much time, and at 4:00 a.m., a little extra time in bed is valuable beyond measure. So last night, I adjusted my alarm to wake me a half hour later. 4:15 instead of 3:45. I fell asleep with a satisfied smile.

I rose this morning when the alarm sounded. I got up, had a quick shower, and got dressed. As I wound my wrist watch, I noticed the time. 3:25. I was puzzled.

"3:25?" I thought. "How can that be?"

I thought maybe my watch had stopped so I looked at the bright red numbers on the alarm clock by my bed. 4:25. I adjusted my watch to match the bedroom clock and descended the stairs to the kitchen. That's when I noticed the clock on the microwave. 3:26. What the hell was going on? I checked the VCR clock and the one on the DVD player. 3:26 and 3:27, respectively. I looked at my watch. 4:27. According to my watch, I had to be at work in fifteen minutes. But the other clocks all gave me an hour and fifteen minutes.

I sat on the couch and removed my glasses. My eyes felt as though they were full of sand and I rubbed them with both fists. I put my glasses back on and looked again at my watch. I had adjusted it this morning. It had been exactly an hour slow. I had adjusted the bedroom alarm clock too. Last night.

And then it suddenly became clear to me. I closed my eyes again and slowly shook my head, grinning at my own carelessness. Last night, as I adjusted the alarm, I must have inadvertantly adjusted the time as well. I must have pressed the button to advance the time. One hour. In my attempt to allow myself an extra thirty minutes of slumber, I had actually robbed myself of thirty minutes!

I went back upstairs and checked the clock on the computer. It read 3:29, exactly one hour less than the watch I'd adjusted. I reset my watch to the correct time and chuckled quietly to myself.

"Well," I said aloud, "If I'm up anyway, I might as well stay up."

I sat for an hour and read some blogs. And then I wrote a little in my personal journal. Can you guess what it was that I wrote about?

It's 11:15 in the morning now. I've done my morning shift and I'm feeling a little sleepy. Maybe I'll lay down for a wee kip.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

Oh you poor thing! I'm soooo sorry about the time mix-up...what a big bummer. On the positive side, 30 minutes early is better than 30 minutes LATE!

Better luck tomorrow!

1 September 2005 at 13:26  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh sausage!! Zette is right, much better early than late!

1 September 2005 at 17:02  
Blogger PBS said...

Early is better than late, but I hope you got in that nap and caught up with your sleep!

1 September 2005 at 21:00  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Hope work is going OK and your leg isn't protesting too much, Dale.

4 September 2005 at 02:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home