A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A Day For G.A.

I took the morning off work to help Alex and her friend move into their new place. I met with Alex at her old apartment here in Mimico at 7:30 this morning. We loaded a few more items into the truck and off we went in the morning rush hour to her new home. Sky met us there.

Honestly Ms J, I liked her old place much better than the new one. Her old place was MUCH bigger and MUCH nicer. And much closer to me. But her old apartment was paid for by government assistance (i.e. welfare). Alex declares proudly that she's no longer on welfare. She and Sky will pay the rent themselves. I wish so much that she still lived in Mimico.

G.A. had a very productive, busy day. She relocated to a new apartment downtown(ish) and started two new jobs. She had her orientation this morning at 10:00 as an usher in a popular downtown theatre. And after helping Sky and me unload boxes from our rented van, she raced off to another location to start a third job as a drama teacher. She'll be leading a class of children, 6-8 years old, in an after school drama programme.

Sky and I worked hard all day to get everything moved in time to return the van and allow me to get back to work at 3:00. My legs are sore. My back is sore. But my heart is happy.

Alex was on welfare for a year. She hated it.

"I can't wait to get a job and never have to deal with these people ever again," she once told me. "I'm going to finish school, get a job and tell these government people to get lost. They treat us like trash, Dale."

This afternoon, after we'd carried the last box into the new place, Girl Alex turned to me and smiled that beautiful smile of hers.

"We really appreciate you helping us like this, don't we Sky? I don't know how to thank you."

I went to her and put my arms around her. She gives the best hugs, Ms J.

"Be a good girl, Alex," I told her. "Be happy. Love yourself. Be gentle with each other. Make me proud."

She looked into my eyes then and said, "I will. I promise."

Promise. That's what she gave me. That's what she has, Ms J. Promise. In great abundance. The promise of Life yet to be discovered.

I love you, Girl Alex. I hope Meagan turns out just like you.


Alex. She's just 18. So much to discover.

***

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Shesounds a great girl, Dale. You do pick the bestest friends!

30 September 2005 at 14:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home