A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, August 26, 2005

An Absolutely BRILLIANT Day!

Things went well yesterday, Ms J. I went for a bike ride to clear my head and get myself motivated. I picked up my book. And then I came home and cleaned the house. I collected Meagan and we came home and went to bed. That was yesterday.

Today we went to The Canadian National Exhibition. The CNE is Canada's longest running fall fair. It has been the exclamation mark to every summer since it first began in 1879. There's a huge midway with rides and games. And of course, exhibits and demonstrations featuring everything you could imagine. This year, there was a human cannonball. Rumour has it that he was hired and fired the same day! Meagan and I went with Frankie (I've written about her here before) and two other happy friends, namely Girl Alex and Hanna, her sister.

Oh Ms J! It was just the absolute best day EVER! We went on all the rides and ate junk food and laughed and got sunburned faces and sore feet. Meagan and G.A. got Henna (temporary) tattoos. Frankie and Meagan and Hanna all won stuffed animals at the midway games.

I can't find the words to describe the fun we had, so I'll show you.

The Giant Ferris Wheel. My Favourite!


It's really high. The view from the top is awesome!


We walked and walked.


Meagan pondered what to do next.


Alex and Hanna went on this one alone.


They all went on this one. Wisely, I sat and waited for them. My stomach can't handle that kind of ruckus.


Hanna, Alex, Meagan and Me. "World of Wonders - Freak Show." LOL!!


More rides. Bye, Scout!!


My stomach thanked me for sitting this one out with Alex. Frankie and Meagan and Hanna went, though. Brave girls!


We all got slush puppies. Flavoured ice and food colouring. Good on a hot day, though. The sky was perfectly clear.


Frankie bought me a Slush Puppy.


And we all got blue tongues!


Frankie LOVED the slide. Pretty, eh? The slide too.


Meagan, Hanna, Alex, Frankie. We all had a wonderful time. The crowds were small.


Frankie won an Ernie doll. She was thrilled!


How lucky I was to get all four girls in this shot! Frankie with her arms out. G.A. beside her. Meagan and Hanna below them.


Look, Scout! Look at the camera!


Girl Alex furrows her brow. Home? Now?


But it was time, Ms J. I'd enjoyed about all I could stand. My leg was really getting tired. And we were all sunburned. And nearly penniless. We rode the GO train home and I met some of my work mates on the train.

"When are ya coming back to work, Dale?" they asked.

"Monday," was my answer. "I hope to be back on the trains on Monday."

What a great day it was, Ms Journal. I'm worn right out. Tomorrow, Scout and I are off to camp with the Pringles. I'll have more news then. More pics too. Oh and some houseguests. I'm getting some houseguests. Carla and Bert. I'll tell you all about it on Monday. After work.

I'm so tired! And it seems there's miles to go before I rest. Smiles to go before I rest.

OK. One more pic. Meagan Amelia. Ain't she gorgeous?


***

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a super fine way to end the summer and your long rest. Loved the pics.

26 August 2005 at 22:29  
Blogger Zette said...

GREAT PICS, Dale! The one of you and Meagan with the snow-cone was especially nice!

Ditto to what Anvil said!

Good luck on your return to work next week! What a long ride this year has been, eh?

27 August 2005 at 00:46  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, you have no idea how envious i am of you all! You lucky sausage, and you had blue slushies!! it looked a fantastic day and what great photos!
What a way to cap off a long break, and some great memories to take to work with you on Monday :o)

27 August 2005 at 07:15  
Blogger PBS said...

Wow, that looks like a great time! I love the photos, and cute quip about the human cannonball!

27 August 2005 at 07:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, does that bring back memories for me! However, the last CNE I went to was in 1965. (We moved to California in August of 1966, so we had to make do with the Los Angeles County Fair--not nearly as good a midway.) Do they still have the air show? I remember I'd ride my bike down Hillside to the lake to watch the jets circling overhead. There would be sonic booms all week!
After 40 years, I still miss Mimico and consider it my "home town"!

28 August 2005 at 20:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeese!
Misspelled my own name!

28 August 2005 at 20:34  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

The CNE is rather legendary, isn't it? Never been there, but heard about it. Sounds like a blast!

It's Monday morning as I write this. Hope you're having a good first day back at work!

29 August 2005 at 09:45  
Blogger Linda said...

I went on my first roller coaster at the CNE. Thanks for the memories. Great pictures! Those young women are so fortunate to have such a hip chaperone!

29 August 2005 at 12:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home