A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Sermon Writing. Bah!!

I finally started writing my sermon for church, Ms J. I've got the material I need and I've got a rough idea of how I want it to look. I'm just not sure how to do it. I feel a little overwhelmed, to be honest with you.

Who am I to stand and tell people how to live their Lives, when I can't handle my own half the time? I get angry sometimes, and act like a moron. I read a blog this morning and one of the comments there made my blood boil. Picture it, Ms J. I was sitting here screaming at the words on the monitor and banging my fist on the desk. Reverend Linda doesn't know that. She doesn't know I act that way sometimes. She has faith in me, even though sometimes, I feel scared. Insecure. Angry. Inadequate. And jealous.

Here's a f'rinstance:

I filled out one of those email surveys this afternoon. You know the ones I mean. "What's your favourite this and your favourite that?" "How old are you?" "What colour's your hair?" Et cetera. A bit of fun. I included Meagan in my list of recipients. She filled it out and sent it back. No problem, right?

Well it would have been no problem except for her mention of Scott. Scott is her stepfather. I've written about him before, Ms Journal. Here. I'm jealous of this guy. Meagan seems to prefer his company lately even though her mother doesn't.

26. When was the last time you cried?
Last night, after the episode with my dearest Scott. My compassion
goes out to him. I LOVE YOU, SCOTT!

27. What is under your bed?
Dead bodies.

28. Who is the friend you have had the longest?
All my friends leave me. My mom, I guess. She's the only one who ever
stayed by me.

29. What did you do last night?
Talked to Scott, then cryed for, like, 2 hours.


Her compassion "goes out to him." I don't know what happened. I don't care. I wish the SOB would ... Well, I won't write what I'm thinking, Ms J. But you get the idea. I don't really hate Scott. How can I hate someone who loves my kids? I just feel so bloody jealous! How come he gets her compassion when I didn't even get a phone call from Meagan - my own flesh and blood daughter - for nearly three months after I broke my leg?

"Talked to Scott, then cryed for, like, 2 hours."

Oh boo-hoo. Poor Scott. What about me, Meagan Amelia Pringle? What about your father? The one who loves you so much it hurts. Did you shed a tear for me in my time of trial? No. You raised your fist and declared, "ALRIGHT!" Your mother shared that with me while I was still in the hospital, just out of surgery. Stupid cow.

I am so hurt right now, Ms J. So angry and jealous. I wish I could phone Meagan right now and talk to her but it would only come out all wrong. She's at someone's cottage up north right now anyway and I don't know the number.

Yup. I'm just the kind of guy to deliver a sermon.

***

9 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

Yes you are Dale! You are the perfect guy to deliver a sermon. You are real. You are honest. You struggle with your thoughts and feelings. You get angry, you get hurt, you get upset, but you muddle through somehow and God is real to you.

You don't have to be perfect to deliver a sermon, just real and honest.

Pick your topic, an opening statement and your conclusion relating to that topic, and work some juicy "stuff" into the middle of the talk. If you know how you are going to start and how you are going to wind it all up, you are almost home free.

Remember, illustrations make truth memorable, so weave your topic and the truth you want to share around stories from your life and you will having a winning sermon.

Preach it brother!

5 July 2005 at 20:34  
Blogger Sarah said...

"I feel scared. Insecure. Angry. Inadequate. And jealous."

How about Human. You missed that one. Don't you think everyone has those feelings, even preachers?

5 July 2005 at 23:25  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I can only agree with all that has been said already. The best preachers are the ones who have had difficult life experiences but have gained compassion and understanding from them - like you, Dale.

6 July 2005 at 02:05  
Blogger Michelle said...

I can only echo what the other ladies have said. Honestly Dale, i have no doubt you'll have them all begging you to deliver another sermon....i bet i'm right!!

6 July 2005 at 02:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Dale it's not wrong to want to be the one your children turn to when they need someone to talk to but someone smart once said "kids don't need more friends they need parents" and that is the truth!

I guess what I'm saying is that Scott may be her dearest friend but no matter what else you are her father and at some point she will realize how important that is! Given her age that's not likely to be now ;-) but give her time!

You may get angry and jealous and suffer through all sorts of other nasty emotions but just have love in your heart and patience - things you already have- and it will work out.

As for the sermon well just remember that I'll be in the audience and will beleive everything you say. ;-)

6 July 2005 at 13:17  
Blogger Loner said...

Church is supposed to be a refuge for sinners, not a shrine for saints. If you weren't upset that your daughter gives some of her affection to someone else - then I'd be worried. Still anxious to hear the sermon when it's done!

Stace

6 July 2005 at 13:32  
Blogger Badpatty said...

In my book, there are two kinds of people who stand behind the pulpit: preachers and ministers. Preachers tell you how to behave and tell you what God might be thinking and . . . just tell you things. A minister, on the other hand, speaks to the needs in people's hearts. A minister will find a way to touch someone. Someone who has never known pain or sin or anger is a lot more distant to me than a person who has come through a lot and wants to talk about the struggle.

Talk about the struggle. Talk about what gets you through the day. Talk about why you still attend church, even though your life hasn't turned out perfectly. Someone in that crowd will hear you loud and clear.

On a parting note, I want you to seriously consider this: God gets angry and jealous, too. He doesn't want to share us. You were made in His image, and there's no shame in knowing that you were wired in a similar fashion.

6 July 2005 at 14:48  
Blogger Linda said...

Dale, I'd love to hear your sermon. I echo the words of the previous comments. I personally have no use for those "perfect preachers" who have it all together. They just don't know what it's like to live in the trenches, what it's like to be insanely jealous, angry and hurt. Maturity and wisdom come when we deal honestly with the crap in our lives. I have seen much honesty and wisdom in these blogs. You are the perfect person to deliver the sermon.

6 July 2005 at 15:25  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

There aren't many words of wisdom I can add to what everyone else said, but I just want to say I feel for you. I can hardly imagine how hard it would be to see your daughter's loyalty shift that way. IT REALLY SUCKS!!

And I can relate somewhat to the feelings of inadequacy. I had a really angry day yesterday (dealing with messed up emotions about my Mom getting married and possibly moving away) and then I had to go to an elder meeting and try to be "spiritually wise". Like you, I am completely inadequate, but the beauty is that God uses us flawed human beings.

6 July 2005 at 21:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home