A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Happy Birthday, Dad!!

Dad’s 83 today. Eighty-three. LXXXIII. No matter how it’s written, it’s still old. Old. Damn!! The years seem to pass so quickly now. I’m sure they pass more quickly for Dad than for me. In his memoirs, As I Recall, Dad wrote, “Life is like a roll of toilet paper: The nearer the end, the faster it goes!” It’s true isn’t it?

Was it really fifty-six years ago that he married Mum? Was it fifty-five years ago that he held his first child? Forty-three years since his last? Has it been twenty-five years since his retirement?


He’s eighty-three years old. That’s eighty-three summers. Eighty-three winters. Eighty-three Christmases.

As I write this, I’m filled with emotion. A lump in my throat. And tears. I wish I could stop time and call an end to these wretched birthdays. I wish I could keep my dad with me forever. But I know one sad day, I’ll get a phone call informing me that he’s gone. Gone. And I can’t bear the thought of living out the rest of my Life without him. Without his counsel, his wisdom, and without feeling his gentleness and his constant Love.


But I’ll be alright. Without him, I mean. Do you know why, Ms. J? I’ll be alright (we’ll all be alright) without him because he’s spent half a century showing us that we’re loved. He’s demonstrated in myriad ways that each of his six children is special to him in our own way and he’s taught us, through patience and kindness, that the world is essentially a good and safe place. Thank you so much for that, Dad.


Yes. I’ll be fine. We’ll all be fine. But oh Lord, how I’ll miss him!


I love you, Dad. I wish you continued health. I wish you happiness. I wish you Love.


Happy Birthday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

My dad's 82 this year. I empathise with all you have said, Dale. Has your dad published his memoirs? Mine had a book published a few years ago about his early life as an apprentice at the loco works in Crewe, where he grew up. I am trying to get him to do the sequel as the first one finished before I was born and I would like a bit of fame, albeit second hand! He has been wanting to do it for years but he couldn't while he was nursing my mum up to her death 3 years ago and since then, he has not had much energy. (Crewe was an important centre for building steam engines in the past by the way.)

21 January 2005 at 03:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I must say... that brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

I love that man too - so much. It scares and amazes me. Most of all though, it warms the very heart of my soul.

"To have loved and been loved in my lifetime is worth more to me than gold."

We are richly blessed indeed to have been given a life with him.

Thanks for writing it so well Dale.
I love you too.
June

21 January 2005 at 16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home