By George, I Think I've Got It!
I'm back online, Ms J. While The Boy's away visiting with his mother, I've spent the better part of the last two days trying to find a way to restrict Dan's access to the internet, while still allowing me to use it. Connecting and disconnecting the modem was really getting tiresome. Zone Alarm may be the answer. Zone Alarm Security Suite. It's a software package who's primary function is to act as a firewall, keeping out hackers and other forms of intrusion. But it also allows the user to block access to a number of website "categories":
- Chat room/Instant Messenger
- Alcohol/Tobacco
- Illegal Drugs
- Dating/Personals
- Violence
- Hate/Racism
- Web Communication/Message Boards
- Web Hosting/Personal Web Pages
I've also been advised to set up a user account for Dan and another for myself, naming me as "administrator." Cool! I've never been an administrator before. Reminds me of that old Keith Hampshire song from the '70's. "Big Time Operator." Remember that one? Dan's account does not allow him to install or uninstall programmes or to alter general computer settings. I however, as administrator, can do whatever the hell I like. My position is guarded by password. The power, Ms J!! It's intoxicating! Mwa-ha-ha!!!
So I'll leave the modem connected. I must be sure, though, to log off each time to prevent Dan from organizing a cyber-coup. He'll be back on Friday. We'll see how it goes.

4 Comments:
Hey Dale,
I don't have any experience with Zone Alarm, using it that way. I think they have upgraded it since I last used it. I used to use a program called 'Net Nanny', that basically allowed to you do the things that you described.
Net Nanny could also be set up with user accounts including 'Time Periods' by day, that would control when they could log in. I used to have it so the girls could not log in after or before a certain time.
Hope this info helps!!
Sounds perfect, you clever sausage!
I really hope all that you've done helps you and Dan both be able to use your computer safely. I've sent you an email about this! *winks*
~Zette~
now THAT"S using the ole 'wetware' pardner... bout time. kinda nice to be called 'boss' by yer own puter, huh. danno here taught me how to talk to mine, and it types. never again shall i smudge a key on this board... hahahahaahahaaaaa
Post a Comment
<< Home