A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Last Night

My date with Carol was OK, I guess. Nothing much to blog about.

I bought a bottle of Australian Chardonnay and drove over to her place around 5:30. She lives in a condo nearby, on the 24th floor, overlooking the marina and yacht club. It's a fabulous view! The other windows look out over the city to the north and west. I could see Willowbrook, the rail yard where I report for work early each morning. While the vistas are breath-taking, the view inside is pretty nice too. Carol has a gorgeous home.

We chatted and then sat and enjoyed a supper of rice, veggie stir-fry and succulent pork chops baked in a mixture of herbs and white wine. Very nice! Before we knew it, it was time to rush off to the theatre. The play we saw was called "No Sex Please, We're British", a comedy I had performed with Jenn, in Caledon last January. We had great fun with it and won a few awards. Audiences loved it. We even set new box office records. My heart was racing and filled with joyful memories as Carol and I waited for the curtain to open.

But what a disappointment! This version wasn't nearly as good as the one we'd done. The characters seemed rather flat. Two-dimensional. Their timing was off. And the guy who played Brian Runnicles (Brian was my role in Caledon) was dreadful! He tried so hard to affect an English accent but I'm afraid it wasn't very credible. In fact, much of what he said was lost because the audience couldn't understand him. How unfortunate!

After the show, we went back to Carol's place. I was feeling tired, Ms J. I could hardly keep my eyes open! She invited up for a cuppa and I went but I didn't stay long. We shared some chamomile and some quiet talk and at midnight I confessed my utter fatigue and moved to excuse myself.

"I want to get up early for church tomorrow, Carol," I told her.

"OK, Dale," she said. "I'm going to visit my son at his home near Peterborough. I'll be up early as well. But I'll be home again on Tuesday. I'll contact you then, OK?"

I stood there awkwardly in her foyer and stared into her blue eyes. I saw sincerity. We laughed and hugged then, and I stole a quick kiss.

"Safe journey tomorrow, Carol," I told her.

I put my palms together, as is my habit, and backed toward the door.

"Happy Thanksgiving," I smiled.

"Yeah. You too."

I was glad to get home and fall into bed.

So that's it, Ms J. That was my second "date" with Carol. It seems she's moving rather slowly compared to some women I've dated. That's alright, though. I'm not in a great hurry to begin a new relationship, really. I'm happy to get to know her and develop a friendship. If it becomes more than that one day, so be it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My friends in Orangeville have invited me to enjoy a turkey dinner with them this afternoon, so I'd better get going. Jennefer, besides being a good friend, is a VERY good cook. Tomorrow, I've been invited to join more friends for another grand Thanksgiving dinner. I'll probably gain ten pounds this holiday weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Sounds as though things are going really well. It's much better not to rush things. Listen to Mother Hen rambling on - what do I know!!
I am moving back to my old blog. Sorry for any inconvenience but I missed my old friends! :)

10 October 2004 at 16:08  
Blogger gemmak said...

Rofl @ 'mother hen'! Hehe. pull ya finger out man and move it up a pace! Nah, just kidding, slow is probably better....I think :o)

I wanna go to the thanksgiving dinner at Jenn's, pick me up on your way Dale :o)

10 October 2004 at 19:20  
Blogger Dale said...

You girls can't imagine how wonderful that would be. Jenny and Scottie and Terri and Maggie et al together with me and Jenn and Jane for a turkey dinner. Oh man! I'm salivating again!

Oh and I'm thankful too, for this blog and all my new blog mates!

11 October 2004 at 00:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home