Just Now
Ring, ring.
“Hello?”
“Hi Daddy! It’s your amazing daughter. I have the most amazingly amazing news to tell you!”
I smiled into the phone. I’d been wondering how she was doing.
“What, Honey? What’s the good word?”
“I just got a phone call from a lady at the SuperStore. She asked me if I could come in for an interview tomorrow. At 11:15. I’ve got a job, Dad! Looks like I’ve got a job. Well, I don’t have it yet, but I’ll prob’ly get it. I’ll be working at the SuperStore, folding clothes and stuff. My first job, ever!!”
She was on Cloud Nine, Ms J. She prattled on at sixty miles an hour for five minutes while I listened and grinned.
“How will you get to work, Scout?” I asked. “Will Mummy drive you?”
“I don’t know, Dad. I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. I guess I can walk if I have to.”
It’s a long walk, Ms Journal. I don’t know how far it is, but more than a mile I should think. Maybe a mile and a half. Maybe two. And uphill nearly all the way. I decided to let it go and not rain on her parade. She was so pleased with herself. And it made my heart glow.
“Whatever,” I said. “First get the job, then we’ll worry about how to get you there.”
“Yeah, Dad. No worries. I’ll get there somehow. Do you want me to call you tomorrow to tell you how the interview went?”
“Please, Meagan. That’d be great!”
“OK,” she said. “I’ll call you as soon as the interview is over. And I’ll sing Happy Birthday to you, too. Tomorrow’s your birthday, eh?”
Dan starts his new job this afternoon at 5:00. And Meagan has her interview tomorrow morning.
Happy Birthday, Dale! This may be the best birthday you’ve had in years.
***

2 Comments:
Way to go!
Happy Birthday to you! That does sound like a great birthday!
Post a Comment
<< Home