Another Glimmer of Hope
I got a message from Dan yesterday. A text message. I was dabbing away at my deck with brush and stain and feeling quite at ease when my cell phone chirped. Naturally, I expected the worst. Why do we do that, Ms J? Why do we allow our imaginations to conjure up the most dire scenarios before we know even a hint of the facts? I opened the phone and pressed the button.
"DAD! I GOT A JOB! ONLY 1 PROBLEM: I DON'T HAVE STEEL TOED BOOTS."
Hmm, I thought. This wasn't bad news. This was something good, something positive. The phone chirped again.
"I'M SO HAPPY! $10.75 AN HOUR! SARAH'S MUM AND DAD ARE SO PROUD OF ME!"
Yes. This was good news. And they weren't homeless. They hadn't been expelled from Sarah's parents' home after all. Her parents must have relented and let them stay. And Dan had a job, or at least the promise of one. And he didn't hate me. He'd contacted me, albeit to ask for a favour, but still ... And he seemed so pleased with himself. I allowed my furrowed brow to relax and began typing.
"Wtg, Dan! I'm proud of you too. I'm coming to gtown 2morrow. We'll meet for lunch and get you some boots. k?"
"Thanx dad. I luv u!!"
"I love u 2. C U 2 morrow."
So that's my task today, Ms J, to get the boy some boots. I hope this job is real and not just another of his fantasies. I hope he gets this job. And I hope he keeps it. The bright promises Life has offered Dan are invariably followed by crushing disappointment, mostly of his own making. I'm afraid he hasn't much confidence in his own abilities.
Oh well ... One step at a time, right? And a man needs a good pair of boots to step confidently.
Fingers crossed.
***

3 Comments:
I haven't been around for ages Dale but decided to come by today and was happy to read the update with Dan. One day at a time...always nice to popin and see how you're doing. We're heading for Florida next week - heat, humidity, bugs and DISNEYWORLD for the kids. Glad you're still around and still writing.
Well, the story has a happy turn, even if rather surprising (in a good way). Glad to hear it!
Let's hope it's true and a new beginning (although I guess all beginnings are new).
Post a Comment
<< Home