A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Church: Why Bother?

I remember reading a comment somewhere in Blogsville recently in which the writer stated he didn't miss church. I guess he'd become disillusioned with organized religion. He's not alone. Church enrolment and membership has been in steady decline over the past few decades. My church - The United Church of Canada - has begun an advertising campaign in hopes of enticing new members and growing our congregations. It's called "Emerging Spirit" and ads can be found in many Canadian magazines. The ads invite the curious to visit a website called Wondercafe and engage in lively discussion on a number of current issues - Gay marriage, parenthood, sex, etc.

Why do I go to church, Ms Journal? Why do I miss it when my job requires me to work on Sunday morning? In a word, community.

Church and the people there offer me a sense of belonging to something larger than myself. My biological family is supportive and caring, yes, but my friends at church offer an extended family that is often more readily accessible. My church friends live here in Mimico, in my own neighbourhood. They know me. They suffer when I suffer. They've been aware of my struggles at work and many ask how I'm doing. Some phone to chat. And last week, after I'd missed a couple of Sundays, the members of a committee to which I belong sent me a card.

"Just believe ..." was the message on the front. Inside, it said, "When the stress and strain of Life seem too much to bear, remember God loves you -- and so do we."

They all signed it and included personal good wishes.

"May you find comfort in knowing we are all there for you." Diane

"Dale, You have the memory of the Love and support of the healing circle in every cell of your body. Draw it close around you whenever you feel the need of Love and comfort. May the Divine Mystery light your path." Charlotte

"Thinking of you and praying for you and your loved ones." Mary

"Thinking about you. Take care." Joan

"Praying for you, Dale. God bless." Shirl

"Dale, remember you are a beloved child of God. May you feel the loving arms of the Divine embracing your Spirit today and every day." Deb

I held the card and breathed deeply for a minute or so while tears coursed down my cheeks. They're thinking of me, Ms J. They care about me. They want me to be happy. And I want the same for them. All of them, not just the ones who sent the card.

This is why I go to church. And this is why I miss it so when I don't go.

***

9 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Couldn't agree more. Unforntuitly I go to such a big church nobody know's you're not there but still it's the community of people that make church worth while.
Love the train picture. Living in the Madison,WI area I'm not to far from Rochelle, IL.,home of a major "Y" crossing that I've been told can see about 300 trains per day go thru on either of the two main line tracks.It make a great day to jump in my '95 Corvette have a great drive plus see the trains.

30 January 2007 at 10:25  
Blogger oshee said...

They sound very much like family. How special it is to feel that love so unconditionally given.

30 January 2007 at 15:09  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm glad that you have them.

And, they are blessed to have you!

30 January 2007 at 19:31  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah, that's what drew me back to church too, when I'd all but given up on organized religion.

30 January 2007 at 23:23  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It sounds like you have a home there. When I stopped going, it took a year before anybody figured it out.

30 January 2007 at 23:30  
Blogger Michelle said...

They sound like a great bunch of people :o)

31 January 2007 at 02:00  
Blogger PBS said...

I liked the sense of community when I used to go to church too. But I didn't believe what they believed and so the sense of community was not enough. Glad to hear that it works for you, though.

31 January 2007 at 07:43  
Blogger None said...

Paul in 1 Corinthians 13 tells us that genuine love within a church is the best sign of the Holy Spirit. It is wonderful that you are so loved. I wonder however whether it is friendship love or the more mature love which is called Agape in the Bible. Do those in your church who are not so obviously likable also given this unconditional love. I have told people in churches that we do not need to like each other, but we must love each other. Christ commands it.

I hope your discipleship is more than just a friendship club to meet your social needs. I left the United Church of Canada because it was more of a "my spiritual journey and my social needs" kind of Church. I left also because its operating doctrine has become a non-Christian feel good everybody is included Gospel which does not challenge people to faith maturity. If there is no challenge to our capacity to love like Jesus did, which at times means confronting each other, then why bother. I ask you this, would your friends at your church love you enough to confront you about something immoral in your life? Even if it meant that you might leave? If not, then your church is just an empty love in. If so, then you are truly blessed.

Personally, I think you should take your circle of friends and leave theologically and ethically bankrupt United Church and find a space for your community in another more faithful denomination. Peace.

31 January 2007 at 12:44  
Blogger Dale said...

James,

Thanks for insulting my church. That was very Christian of you. Peace.

31 January 2007 at 13:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home