A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, September 15, 2006

Shaddup Already

People and their friggin' cell phones!

I am so tired of listening to phone conversations on the train, Ms J. Honestly! Why is it that on a car that seats about two hundred people, there's always one idiot with a cell phone permanently stuck to the side of his face?

"HI IT'S ME AGAIN. I GUESS YOU'VE LEFT THE OFFICE. IT'S 5:15. HA! HA! I ALWAYS SEEM TO GET YOUR VOICE MAIL, EH? SO ANYWAY, I WAS THINKING ABOUT THAT PROPOSAL YOU MENTIONED AT THE MEETING AND I REALLY THINK WE SHOULD GO AHEAD WITH IT. IT'S THE BEST IDEA I'VE HEARD YET."

Blah blah freaking blah.

No one cares, Buddy. There's no one on this train who wants to hear your stupid conversation about a stupid proposal to a stupid answering machine. It's Friday for goodness sake. Give it a rest.

Hey. Here's a proposal for you. How 'bout we all swarm you, remove that phone from your ear and insert it where it'll be no good to you whatsoever?

Lower your voice! You don't have to yell. It's a modern telephone you're using, not a piece of string and two tin cans. And turn the speaker volume down. We don't want to hear the other side of the conversation either.

And what about those irritating ring tones, eh Ms J? Happy, sappy electronic versions of songs that were annoying enough in their original format. And why must they be so loud? Don't most phones have a "vibrate" feature that allows a silent ring? Why not use it?

I'm tired of cell phones and people who feel they must be available every waking minute. I mean really, Ms J. Is anyone really that important? Whatever did we do before the age of cell phones? We left a message or tried again later, that's what we did. We actually went out, away from the phone, and had a Life. When we returned, we collected our calls.

Me? I don't own one. I find the damned things intrusive and annoying. But if you must use a cell phone, please consider those around you. And for goodness sake, turn it off in theatres and cinemas and restaurants.

Don't even get me started about restaurants.

***

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Hahaha! Too funny - on my way to work on the bus, I was thinking of writing this exact same rant. I always seem to have the person sitting next to me who answers the phone with the annoying ring and says "yeah, I'm on the bus - we're at the corner of X and Y - I'll be home in 10 minutes." What - the person on the other end of the line couldn't wait TEN MINUTES for the other person to get home, they had to call and check up on them?

I don't have one either. I had to carrry one for work for too long and was only too happy to get rid of it.

16 September 2006 at 00:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So right!
What I REALLY hate are the phones that are like walkie-talkies! Promoted by Nextel. I can see where they'd be handy if you're a contractor out on some work site, but in a restaurant with lots of people all around--no one wants to hear BOTH sides of the conversation at high volume, punctuated by louds beeps.
I once talked to a Nextel salesperson and found out that people can still use the phone like a walkie-talkie (saves money, apparently) but can speak quietly with the phone to their ear. But NOOOOOOOO...

16 September 2006 at 01:02  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, this post made me laugh! I could just picture reciting it. I have a mobile phone, i have it on in the morning for a couple of hours and turn it off till around 4pm when i check for messages. It pisses people off because they don't always get me, but its better than the damn thing ringing every 5 mins.

16 September 2006 at 01:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do use my cell alot in my business, but I've learned to put it on vibrate when it would disturb others.
What's funny is my wife has a knack for calling me to ask when I'm going to be home just as I'm turning the corner. It's a laugh to walk in the house still talking to her.

16 September 2006 at 01:09  
Blogger PBS said...

I don't own a cell phone because I don't want to be constantly available to anybody who happens to call. I feel so strongly about it that I might post about it soon.

16 September 2006 at 08:18  
Blogger Zulu said...

I JUST had a conversation about this yesterday after a guy stood by my cube at work and talked LOUDLY on his phone about his marital problems that invovled the police.

16 September 2006 at 09:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mobile is with me constantly - I'm an addict, but I don't hold loud conversations where it might annoy others. I just like my gadgets! :) (Jennyta)

16 September 2006 at 14:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home