A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, September 01, 2006

Save a Horse ... Ride a Cowboy

Whew. What a day I had yesterday, Ms J. I was awake at 4:15 and off to work at 4:45. At 9:00, I came home and found Alex awake and dressed and ready to go. She stayed at my house on Wednesday night so we could get an early start on Thursday. We jumped in the car and went off to collect Frankie. Then the three of us went to Mimico Station to get the train to the CNE. The Canadian National Exhibition. It's a Toronto tradition and Canada's largest and longest-running annual fall fair. To us locals, it's known simply as "The EX".

The weather was absolutely perfect, Ms J. Just like last year. Sunny. Not too hot, with a lovely breeze off the lake.

Just as we did last year, we spent all our time on the midway. We rode the rides and ate junk food and played games to win prizes. Frankie won two stuffed toys. Sesame Street's "Cookie Monster" and a character, "Stewie", from an animated television show. She was thrilled.

"Do you think we should visit some of the exhibits?" I asked her. "Maybe we'll see something we'd like to buy."

"No way," she said, and G.A. concurred. "The exhibits are for grown-ups. We're here to be kids."

And so we spent the day together playing like children. We denied ourselves nothing. The girls went on every ride they wanted, and many twice. I sat out most of them because my old stomach can't stand all that violent motion.


Intrepid souls, these young women. Look at them offering a "V" for victory from the back row.


The car swung this way ..


... and that way, like a giant pendulum. The G-forces must have been great. But those two laughed and screamed and LOVED it!


Here they are on another ride. Ready for take-off. It sure looked like fun, but I was content to stand and hold their bags. Girl Alex on the outside and Frankie inside. Don't they look happy?


Look Dale! We're flying!! Weeeeeeeee!!!!

I wasn't a total chicken, though. I went on some of the rides. Alex took a picture of me on the big slide.


I'm a bit, er ... heavier than Frankie. I lead the race to the bottom.


"I win! I win!"

"Let's go again, Frankie!" I said. "I'll take a picture from the top as we're going down."

And so I did. It seemed like a good idea, Ms J, but it was really scary not watching where I was going. I lost my hat to the wind, but later retrieved it.


I was so frightened, I almost couldn't press the shutter release!

Another ride we enjoyed was a swing-type arrangement. The line-ups were short and wait-times brief so we went on this one three or four times. I liked to close my eyes and feel the wind on my face. Frankie always spread her arms like wings. It would have been more relaxing without the music blaring.


I wonder if these women know how they enrich my Life? I hope so. I must remember to tell them if I haven't already. Frankie is a school teacher and Alex starts college on Tuesday.


Frankie and I went on the Merry-Go-Round. Alex took pictures.

"Are you sure this one's not too violent, Frankie?" I asked and she assured me I'd be fine.

"Dale ... It's the merry-go-round."


I was a bit nervous at first, Ms J. But Frankie stayed right next to me and helped me relax.


Soon I was relaxing and enjoying myself. The girls laughed at my antics.

There was a lot of laughter that day, Ms J. I always enjoy the sound of honest laughter, but especially from people I care for. The smiles and joy I witnessed on the faces of my friends was without a doubt the best part of the day for me.


Here we are on the giant Ferris wheel. That's my favourite ride, Ms J. From the top, you can look out over Lake Ontario and see the sailboats and gulls, fresh and white against the blue water and sky. It just feels peaceful up there.


The "CRAZY MOUSE" was a hit too. It's a rollercoaster with cars that rotate unexpectedly. Sometimes, you're going forward, then suddenly, you're racing backward downhill. It was great fun but terrifying!

Near the end of the ride, on one of the most frightening drops, a camera takes your photo. The picture nicely sums up the day's excitement.

Alex? Frankie? If you read this, please know that I love you both. Thank you for a brilliant day!


Joy. That's what it looks like.

Oh, and today's title. What's with that, you ask? "Save a horse, etc?"

Well, that was the name of a song that was blaring from loud speakers as the girls prepared to board a ride. I was singing along and dancing to the beat. It was funny and there was more laughter, not only from G.A. and Frankie, but from others who were waiting in line.

"You should make that the title of your blog post, Dale," Frankie suggested. "It'll get their attention, won't it?"

And so I did.

***

7 Comments:

Blogger Cynnie said...

That last picture of the spinny thing?
That is my arch nemesis..
Its the pukeogenerater..
See what you've done!..I gotta go lay down..
Nice blog!!

1 September 2006 at 16:15  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah, I'm with cynnie - I'm a little nauseous just LOOKING at those photos. Yikes! You must have a stronger stomach than me.

1 September 2006 at 16:54  
Blogger JustSue said...

Looks like you had a great time! I haven't been to the Ex in years. Always loved those highly addictive Tiny Tom Donuts.

1 September 2006 at 18:10  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG! I am soooooooooo envious! What fun you guys had :o)
I think the slide would be about my limit LOL!!

2 September 2006 at 01:44  
Blogger PBS said...

It's sad isn't it, I used to love going on the rides all afternoon and into the night, but I can't anymore. Just watching them makes me queasy. Sounds like you had a great time. Even though I'm not a country music fan I like that song.

2 September 2006 at 11:43  
Blogger Zulu said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I can't ride most of those rides that go in circles...even the swings because they make me barf. But, still know fun when I see it.

2 September 2006 at 11:48  
Blogger Thoughts From Serenity said...

Dale, I am sooooooooooo impressed with your blog! And the pictures are fantastic! I am also jealous... because I don't know how to do the picture thing at all!! I don't usually have time to brouse blogs, but enjoyed reading your tonight. It was enjoyable and informative. I am happy to have connected with you through Stacey.
I don't blog much...but try to get on once in awhile to update Dave's progress.
Good job! I loved reading!
Peace...

2 September 2006 at 22:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home