A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, September 08, 2006

It's Happening Again ...

I haven't seen much of my GO girls lately. They're the four women with whom I used to sit on my afternoon train. I met them all about 3 or 4 years ago and we've become friends. We would spend forty minutes every afternoon chatting and bitching and laughing. I really enjoyed that time with them.

But I've been staying on the engine lately to study my new script and the girls have been taking an earlier train. I don't blame them. The 4:13 is late nearly every single day. It's getting bad, and I'm feeling really frustrated. The crew try our best to operate the damn thing on time, but it seems we're the only ones (besides the passengers) who care. Freight trains block our way. Empty commuter trains seem to take precedence of movement over our fully loaded rush hour train. I've complained, but the authorities don't appear to care. I don't understand why this is.

Two weeks ago, the engineer I was working with ran through a red light in Hamilton. He was removed from service immediately. Yesterday, they officially fired him.

This was a good man. A good employee who made a mistake. One mistake in his career. He admitted fault and co-operated fully in the investigation. He had a perfect work record that spanned 19 years. He has a young family. But CN doesn't care. They fired him. All the train crews are saddened and angry. There's a LOT of anger, Ms J. A LOT. I'm afraid someone will do something stupid, like punch our boss in the mouth, or vandalize his car, or ... I don't know. But it's bad at work now. Really bad. I have never seen morale this low. We're afraid for our jobs and we loathe our employer.

Today, I learned I have a new mate. There's a new engineer who'll be working with me every day. A woman. She has NO CLUE what to do. She's dangerous and completely unqualified to operate a GO train. Or any train. She admits this herself. It's terribly unsafe and very nerve-wracking for me to have to work with her. She literally shook as she talked about operating the train into Hamilton this morning.

I took pity on the poor woman and ran the train both directions while she simply observed. The company says she's qualified. I can see she's not competent but I cannot refuse to work with her. I'm afraid she'll make a mistake that might cause both of us to get fired. Or worse ... And believe me, Ms Journal, she shares my concern.

Next week, I'll be working a different train, a train with experienced people who can work safely and efficiently. I'm sorry to abandon poor Deb, but I cannot risk losing my job. I just really need to get away from that assignment for a while. I am angry and short-tempered at work and I'm afraid something bad will happen.

The last time I felt that way, I fell down the stairs and broke my leg. This time, I will listen to my feelings.

I could stay on that job and help Deb learn to become more proficient. Maybe I will later, but right now I feel I need to operate a different train, to work a different assignment. I've been working the same schedule for four years now. Maybe The Universe is telling me it's time to move on.

Good Luck, Deb. God help you and the people you work with. The passengers too. Maybe I'll see you in a week or so. Or maybe not.

***

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fret too much Dale.

CN knows what it is doing. Hunter Harrison is a brilliant 'captian of industry'. He has progressively raised the share price year over year. Feel good comfort that he is at the helm and that you are in good hands. Trust CN; it looks like they are making good decisions and propelling the company forward quite nicely (and making good returns for the shareholders too ;-)).

Paul

8 September 2006 at 23:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa Dale,

Maybe you booked one too many Fridays as rest. Did you see this?
http://tinyurl.com/gnt2l

Anton

9 September 2006 at 00:03  
Blogger Dale said...

As a shareholder myself, I trust Hunter Harrison. But as an employee of CN, I can tell you I detest the prick. We all do.

And yes, I saw that headline. Everyone at work was discussing it. It looks bleak right now. 168 jobs are at stake, mine among them. We .. You know what? I have lots to say about this and this is not the right place.

Paul? Anton? Who the heck are you guys?
*

9 September 2006 at 09:09  
Blogger PBS said...

I think you were wise to move your assignment. Hope Deb does OK in her new job--or decides that it's not for her and leaves. Weird about your two anonymous commenters!

9 September 2006 at 10:25  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yikes, i think i'd walk!

10 September 2006 at 03:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home