Television on The Trains
They've installed TV's on our GO trains, Ms J. Not on every train, and not in every coach, but still ... Four 19" LCD monitors are suspended with fancy chrome hardware from the ceilings on both upper and lower levels of some of our bi-level coaches. I assume it's a trial to see if the travelling public fancies them or not. There was no sound, only advertising, news and weather and sports. Count me among those opposed to the idea.
Have we become so wrapped up in ourselves, that we must seek out new reasons to ignore each other? We have Walkmans and Discmans, and now mp3 players to blot out the world around us and allow us to withdraw from Life. Cell phones are ubiquitous. A few old fashioned souls sit quietly on the train and read a book, or the newspaper. Very seldom does anyone attempt conversation with a seat mate.
It's sad, Ms J. Nearly 2000 commuters ride on a rush hour train. The same people each day, many of them in the same seat each day. You'd think they might strike up a conversation. You'd think they'd all be friends by now.
But no. Each of them has his or her own set of cares and can't imagine sharing them with a stranger. And now they can sit and stare at the coloured lights and moving images being fed them by wealthy corporations and government. Do this. Don't do that. Buy this product. Use that service.
Remove the cursed televisions, say I. Put down your newspapers, friends. Unplug yourselves from your electronic masters. Lift your face from your laptop computer and meet the gaze of the person across from you.
"Hello. How are you today?"
How difficult can it be? I do it all the time. That's how I met my GO girls. Try it, people. Try establishing contact with a stranger today. Tomorrow, you may call them friend.
***


8 Comments:
I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! I don't own a cell phone or any of those other electronic gadgets, I have several bus friends (when I'm not riding my bike to work), and if none of my bus friends are there, I read a book. I would HATE it if my bus time got rudely interupted by TVs.
I have to agree also, whatever happened to a good old book or a chat!
Yep, I just like peace and quiet, hate noise noise noise everywhere!
Hey, I thought it was only use uptight English who were too reserved to speak to each other on public transport!
Just a thought - might they get vandalised on the late night runs?
Hey commentors, I have a solution to your problem; DON'T WATCH THE TVS! Gimmie a break... nobody is forcing you to do so and he even said there is no sound. Perhaps some people *would* rather watch TV than talk to another person. Are they a bad person for wanting to do that? I think not. Just because you have these 'wonderful' old fashon values, don't try and impose it on everyone else. Leave that to Pat Robertson and his religious right nuts.
I don't understand the need for TVs on the GO train either, however, I can't say that I am inclined to strike up conversations with my fellow riders. I work in a noisy environment, with several loud conversations going on at once most of the time, and the relative quiet on my ride home is sublime. If I have no reading material, I have no need to watch ads, news, etc. on TV- there's plenty of entertainment rushing past the window!
There are TVs everywhere! Although anonymous #1 says just don't watch, I find that very hard to do. There is something about an electronic screen that draws one's attention. If there's a TV anywhere, I find my eyes constantly going there. I don't like that and I have to work really hard at ignoring it.
Got to love Anon's, never have i ever seen a "positive" comment by one!
Post a Comment
<< Home