A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Do It For Fun

The guys at work often ask about my acting "career."

"Got any plays on the go right now?" they ask and I tell them.

"How much do you get paid for doing a play?"

"Nothing," I tell them. "I just do it for fun."

Often, they seem surprised at my answer.

"Really? But wouldn't you like to get paid to act? I'll bet you'd love to make it big in Hollywood, eh?"

Actually, Ms J, no. I'm quite content doing community (amateur) theatre. I have no aspirations of "making it big" in Hollywood. Or anywhere, really. There are thousands of actors here, and in Los Angeles and New York - talented actors - hoping desperately to be cast in a movie or Broadway show. Their chance of being "discovered" is incredibly slim. Incredibly slim.

I am happy to run an engine, to drive a train for a living and act in little theatre in my spare time. There's not so much pressure there. There's not the possiblity of dashed hopes and a Life of poverty and uncertainty. Why ever would I give up my regular job on the railway to pursue a pipe dream?

I act because it's fun. It fills my heart, I tell people. I don't need to be famous or rich or sought after. The fun is my reward. Acting is challenging. It keeps my mind active. And I've met some really wonderful friends in the theatre both on and off stage.

I write for the same reasons, essentially. I write because it's fun. I like it. I enjoy the challenge of choosing just the right word or exploring different sentence structures in order to convey my thoughts just so.

I like it when the audience laughs or applauds or when folks read my writing and comment. It's only natural to enjoy praise if it comes. But even when the audience is small or if Mum and Dad are the only ones who read my journal entries, I will continue to explore these creative outlets. I like to act and I enjoy writing.

I expect I'll continue for years to come.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Just a suggestion... how about writing a play in which an engine driver falls asleep and his bedroom is then invaded by an army of spiders that spin webs to hold him down on the bed, then a huge mama spider comes into the room intent on impregnation and the engine driver screams and.... and.....

26 August 2006 at 20:08  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

If ypou act as well as you write, you must act well.

26 August 2006 at 22:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, now you know who Spiders United are (see answer to your comment on my blog!) (Jennyta)

27 August 2006 at 05:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Dale, that community theater is fun and very rewarding. I have great memories of the plays and people that I have performed with. It also gives you the opportunity to kiss other women. "It's just an essential part of the scene." And I'll only do nudity if it's artistic.

27 August 2006 at 08:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home