Preacher Dale: Reprise
Ring Ring Ring.
"Hello?"
"Hi Dale. It's Linda. How are you today?"
Reverend Linda, Ms J. From the church. I wondered what she wanted. I'm overwhelmed right now with this play.
"I'm fine, Linda. What's up?"
"Well, I was wondering if you'd like to try preaching another sermon."
What? Now? My God, woman! You've got to be kidding!! I'd have to write it and then deliver it ... But I have no time for that. I have no time for anything but work and rehearsals. There's no way I could ...
"Not right away," she continued. "In the summer, like last year. Remember? I was thinking maybe you could preach one Sunday in August. How does August 27th sound?"
I sat down on a chair in the dining room and exhaled softly. Yeah. I could do that. I could do a sermon in August. The play will be long over by then. I nodded my head and smiled.
"Yes, dear Linda. My word, yes! I'd be honoured to do it."
"Great then," she said, and I could hear her smiling. "I'll get a package of reference material together and I'll make sure you have it by the end of June. How's that sound?"
"Fab-tastic, Rev! That sounds just fine."
"OK. Thanks, Dale. See you Sunday?"
"Yuppers."
"OK, then. Bye."
"Bye, Linda."
So there you have it, Ms J. Looks like I'm going to be preaching again this summer. I can't wait to see what the topic will be. I hope it's not forgiveness. I've been struggling with that one a bit lately.
***


7 Comments:
Wouldn't it be weird if a lot of us "popped in" for the event? No, that's not a threat; it just crossed my mind.
AC - I think that would be great (you popping in to listen) but ONLY if you share it with the rest of us who are too darn far away to come for Sunday morning worship :)
Congratulations! I hope we get to read it like last time :o)
Good for you, that's exciting! I'm glad the timing worked out.
I rarely respond to comments but in this case, I feel I must.
C'mon down, Anvilcloud, et al. Come visit scenic Mimico (LOL) and avail yourselves of my sage wisdom. Experience the good advice and rapier wit of Preacher Dale. And bring a dozen friends! Think of it. If you bring a dozen friends, and I bring a dozen friends, why there may be ... umm, two dozen people in the church.
***
I'm in! Just gotta wrangle a business trip to Toronto for that weekend and I'm SO there!
Hate to tell you Dale, but almost every time I get asked to speak, the topic ends up being JUST what I'm struggling with. So it just might be forgiveness :-)
So you're wrestling with the topic of forgiveness? Boy, have I got something for you on that subject! I met a fellow who always had this personal belief that he might could forgive, but never forget. That was something I thought about a lot and wondered why it bothered me so much. Then I realized what the problem was. If you read that statement again, you'll notice the word "but" which in that sentence acts as a conjunction, so to me neither forgiveness nor forgetting could ever happen. If we are to heal from some kind of emotional trauma we have to forgive *and* forget. Otherwise, we'll all be basket cases forever!
Post a Comment
<< Home