A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mother's Day ... With Dad

I had a good weekend. I shopped with Meagan on Saturday and visited my dad on Mother's Day. My brother and I ...

What, Ms J? Meagan's grad dress? Oh I guess I didn't conclude that story, did I? OK, I'll tell you that story and save Mother's Day til tomorrow.

Well, I took my girl home to her mother on Saturday night. We'd shopped on Saturday afternoon but after visiting only one shop, Meagan declared an end to the search for graduation attire.

"That's it, Dad. I'm done. I'm not going to the grad."

I tried to reason with her.

"But we've only been to one store, Scout. This mall has thirty-eight shops selling womens apparel. I counted them on the directory in the mall. Why don't we try another place?"

"What's the point?" she said. "They all have the same stuff. Blouses, skirts, slacks, whatever."

So we came home. I prepared her favourite supper and we ate together and watched The Simpsons on television.

"Dad?" she said, licking a forkful of mashed potatoes as though it were a lolly.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for taking me shopping. I know I was grumpy in the stores, but I really don't like shopping. Women are supposed to love shopping, but I don't. I hate it. I know it was hard for you and you were so patient. Thanks for that, too. Sorry I didn't find anything to wear. You spent all that time with me for nothing."

"Meagan," I said, "You've missed the point entirely. It was never about shopping. Not for me, anyway. I just wanted to be with you. I don't care what we do or where we go. I just enjoy spending time with you."

Her fork was clean now and she dug again into her potatoes. When she looked at me, she was smiling.

"I don't care about the grad anyway, Dad. Not really."

"You can still change your mind, Scout, if you want to you know."

She spoke with her mouth full.

"I know. But I don't think I will. And you know what else?"

"What hunny?"

"Your mashed potatoes are better than Mum's."

***

4 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

Oh that's so sweet!

16 May 2006 at 08:51  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's the important thing -- the mashed potatoes.

16 May 2006 at 09:43  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

If it's any comfort to Meagan, not ALL girls love shopping. I sure don't.

16 May 2006 at 13:04  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hate shopping too. Glad to hear you do good spuds sausage!

16 May 2006 at 23:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home