A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, May 12, 2006

Lookin' Up

Things are improving, Ms J.

Oh, I suppose you could say things are the same, and that it's my attitude that's improving. And I could say "get bent". But you'd be right. I am feeling better.

Work is better. Now 100% Neilfree.

I start work at 4:00 a.m. so it means getting up a bit earlier. Like three freakin' thirty!! The morning half is long - about five hours - but the second half is only three hours. I'm home by 6:00 which is nice.

I found myself looking at my watch this morning and thinking about my old job.

"I'd be sitting in the coffee shop in Hamilton right now," I muttered to myself, "but I'd be looking at ... him."

I'm better off where I am, Ms J. But I do miss the passengers I had come to know over the past four years. I didn't get a chance to say good-bye. Oh well, it can't be helped. I'll be back on Job 10 one day when Neil's off it. Anyway, this new job pays a little more and I only have to work nine days a fortnight instead of ten.




I've decided to build a deck in my back garden. It'll be made of wood and raised to allow me to walk straight out from the dining room. It'll be 16 feet wide and reach 12 feet out from the back wall of the house. I'll build a railing around it with some lattice for privacy, and wooden steps down onto the lawn.

I haven't the slightest clue about how to build it, Ms J, but I've enlisted the help of a couple of mates from work. Wally has built two decks, and Bob (Angry Bob - remember him?) used to work for a contractor who specialised in decks and fences. Wally's a great guy and Bob doesn't seem quite as volatile as he once was. They were both here yesterday to discuss the project.

"I'd be glad to help you, Dale," said Wally. "I enjoy this sort of thing. And we can work a few hours every day between our morning and afternoon shifts. That's perfect."

Bob concurred in a voice that was WAY too loud given the proximity of my neighbours.

"It might take a couple of f***ing weeks to get the f***er done, but as long as your c*ck-s*ckin' neighbours don't mind the racket ... You know, f***in' saws and stuff. Have you got good neighbours?"

I winced and shot a worried glance at Wally who was trying not to laugh.

"Well, I used to, Bob. The people on this side are quite religious actually so maybe we should try to watch our language a bit."

Bob flicked his cigarette butt over the fence.

"Yeah, sure," he said. "No problem. They won't give you a hard time about the noise though, will they? The f***ers."

"Ah no, Bobby. They're really very nice people. But religious, eh?"

I looked at Bob and wrinkled my nose. "You know?"

"Oh f***! Sorry. F***. SORRY! SORRY!"

Wally was laughing now hysterically and I couldn't help but join him.

I'll order the lumber next week. I'm looking forward to the project, but more than that, I'm looking forward to enjoying the morning sun with a cup of coffee and a good book this summer.

Once we begin work, I'll pray every night that Bob doesn't hit his thumb with a hammer. All of Mimico will hear him.

***

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Dale! You have me in tears, here! Now I'll have my ear pointed to the northeast waiting for that inevitible hammer on thumb outburst.
I have an Oregonian friend who thinks that ALL Canadians use that word every other word they speak. That, and he likes to make fun of how we say "Sorry" -- SOAR-RY instead of SAH-RY. Hmph!

12 May 2006 at 15:17  
Blogger oshee said...

LOL very funny friend you go there. I love the idea of the deck. If it weren't deviiishly hot here, I'd build one myself. I'll have to make do with the pool.

12 May 2006 at 21:10  
Blogger Michelle said...

LMAO! Too funny, boy are you going to have some stories worth blogging...can't wait!!

13 May 2006 at 07:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home