A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Free At Last

Last week was lousy. I had to work with Neil four out of five days. This week was looking the same. It's stressful, I must say. Although we don't talk and we don't fight, I still feel prickly to be in his presence. I am serious, Ms J. The man is evil. He frightens me and so does my reaction to him. I sit there, manipulating the controls of the locomotive and rehearsing what I'll say if he attempts any conversation. I just don't like the guy. And I don't want to talk to him.

A few days before Neil came to work on my train, I was quite vociferous in expressing my distain for him. I told anyone who'd listen.

"I don't like the sonofabitch and I don't want to work with him. I have nothing to say to him and I don't want to hear his voice. I can't even look at him. Every time I see his face, I want to bury my fist in it."

Usually, I wasn't so gentle in my reproach. Tongues began wagging. I knew they would. Word gets around. Neil arrived knowing he wasn't welcome. I had hoped he might change his mind and go on another train. But he didn't.

You know, Ms J, I try to do the right thing. I really do. I'm a good friend, a caring father, generous, kind (usually), tolerant (of most people). But I cannot suffer another minute with Neil. I will not. I make no apologies. Not to Neil and not to anyone. I cannot forgive him for the way he treated me in the weeks that preceded my accident last year.

Effective this morning, I am off that train. I've bid successfully on a different run. A different train. It's only temporary, Ms J. It's only for a few weeks. But it'll be like a vacation to be rid of that detestable man and his arrogance and criticism and negativity. And with any luck, he'll be gone from Job 10 when I return.

You're an arsehole, Neil. You make a good case for adding extra chlorine to the gene pool.

Alright then. Enough about Neil. Let's move on now, shall we?

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

I know what it's like to hate the job you are doing and to be a odds with the people you are doing it with, so I do sympathise, Dale. Hope things get better for you soon.

10 May 2006 at 14:45  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Oh I do hope this gets worked out for you Dale, because it's painful seeing you so bitter. I know how much a poisonous workplace relationship can eat away at you - I've been there.

10 May 2006 at 21:30  
Blogger Michelle said...

Breathe sausage, breathe!
Good to hear you've got the chance to be rid of him for a while. Crap, after yesterdays post i was thinking i may have book a flight, i want you alive when i get the chance to see Canada, not be going to a funeral.

10 May 2006 at 23:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home