A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, May 20, 2006

All the World's a Stage

June and I went to the theatre last night. Caledon offered a two for the price of one admission this weekend so we went to see their production of "Crimes of The Heart". It was a play about three sisters in Mississippi. It was all about Love and emotions and ... well, girl stuff. Oh, and attempted murder. I really enjoyed it, Ms J. Especially the southern accents.

June could relate to the story perhaps better than I. She's experienced the high emotion and unconditional Love of sisterhood. It's been the foundation of her relationship with her twin sister since we were kids together. It was great to see some old friends again and I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of them, up there on stage, acting their hearts out, and just thoroughly enjoying themselves. After the show, my sister and I were invited to stay and enjoy "a glass o' red waaaan and a slaaaace o' pecawn paaaa" with the cast. (Y'all.) Suzanne was in the cast. She played one of the sisters. Suzanne is gorgeous. Suzanne is married. I have a HUGE crush on Suzanne.

Sigh ...

All the best ones are married it seems. Or gay. Or gay and married.

It was nearly 1:00 a.m. when I dropped June off at home in Meadowvale and drove back to Mimico. I was smiling, Ms J. I always smile a lot when I'm with June. And the smile lingers a while after we part. I love you, Goon. Thanks for coming with me.




The little red light on my phone was flashing. Message waiting. I picked it up and checked the call display. Kelly (or someone there) had called. 4x

As I pressed the buttons to retrieve the voice mail, I wondered what the crisis was this time? Had Daniel gone berserk again? Was he using drugs? Had Meagan run away? Dear God, I hoped, not the baby. Funny eh, how your mind conjures visions of disaster?

I held the phone to my ear there in the darkness and closed my eyes. It was Dan's voice. He was troubled.

"Hi Dad. We've got a bit of a situation here. We have no food in the house, no food for the baby, and we have no money. I don't know what the hell happened. But I need your help, Dad. If you could lend us, like, a hundred dollars, ... I promise I'll pay you back. Please call me as soon as you get this message. Thanks. Bye."

I pressed the button to end the call and stood there for a minute with the phone in my hand. I felt myself getting angry at Kelly. A curse on that stupid woman, I thought. How could she let this happen? What did she do with the $600 in child support money I send every month? What has she done with her welfare cheque? And what about the Neanderthal Tim? Does he not get a pay cheque? This has NEVER happened to me. Not even one time. I have a job. I've always had a job. Why the hell can't Daniel get a job??! It wasn't the lack of money that upset me. It was the lack of responsibility. It was too late to call so I went to bed. Angry.

This morning, I feel better. I'm not angry anymore. Shit happens, doesn't it, Ms J? Sometimes there's just too much month at the end of the money. It's never happened to me because I've enjoyed good fortune. I've been lucky. Blessed, I suppose. My boy needs my help. He hasn't often asked for help. The situation requires action. David's hungry. Dan's worried. Kelly's a twat.

I just phoned The Boy and I'm on my way to Norval with some money. I'll stop on the way and get a package of diapers and some formula. I won't offer judgement, this time.

I know, Ms J. They won't learn to work for a pay cheque as long as they can let someone else look after them. Me. The government. Insurance companies. But what am I to do? Let them go hungry?

WWJD??

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good for you. Doesn't seem like the time for tough love.

20 May 2006 at 22:20  
Blogger Michelle said...

I agree, becoming angry would have just inflamed the situation.

20 May 2006 at 23:04  
Blogger PBS said...

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. The less (especially critical) said, the better. Unless, of course it starts happening again and again. Once or twice is not that big of deal.

21 May 2006 at 11:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. June here. Just a note to say thanks for the fun last night. I had a great time. And as for the smiling. That's mutual. I love you too Dale.

21 May 2006 at 15:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home