Morning Thoughts
The wind woke me this morning. It was howling outside and rattling my bedroom window. I'd been dreaming of Meagan. She was at the theatre last night to watch the play with her cousin, Sherri. After the show, I exited the change room to find Meagan waiting in the hall. I hugged her tightly.
"Hi Scout! It's great to see you. Did you enjoy the show?"
"Yeah, Dad. It was pretty good. But there was a big, fat guy in front of me and I couldn't see very well."
Sherri and I laughed and I hugged my niece as well. It's really nice to have fans in the audience. I suspected they'd made it to the theatre when I heard a loud cheer as I took my final bow at the curtain call.
Anyway, my girl was on my mind when I first opened my eyes this morning. I'd been replaying a conversation we'd had in the car last weekend. We were on our way back to Norval after dinner last Sunday when she broke a comfortable silence.
“Dad?”
“Yeah?”
“Can I get a tattoo?”
“No.”
“You have tattoos.”
“I didn’t get them til I was 35.”
We discussed waiting until you really find something you know you’ll like. Forever. We talked about how interests and passions change as we get older. And we discussed the very permanent nature of tattoos.
“But if I got something that I grew out of, it would just be a memento of an earlier time in my Life – a time when I used to like childish things. It wouldn’t be a bad thing, Dad.”
She cannot see things the way I do. She hasn’t lived enough yet, although she thinks she has.
“I’ll tell you what, Scout. If you promise to wait until you’re eighteen, I’ll take you myself to a tattoo artist and pay for whatever you want. How does that sound?”
“Mum could take me. She took me to get my lip pierced. And my belly button.”
I was suddenly angry. Really angry.
“If Mum takes you to get a tattoo, I will FREAK OUT on her. She won’t even know what hit her.”
After a moment of awkward silence, Meagan said, “OK. You made your point.”
I had been harsh and threatening and when I spoke again, I tried to soften it.
“If you wait til you’re older, Scout, I will pay for your tattoo. And I promise I won’t speak a critical word about it. Deal?”
“OK, Dad. That sounds pretty good, I guess.”
I still don’t think I won her over, Ms J. She sounded a bit conciliatory, but at least she’d agreed to wait.
You know, it's a very frustrating thing that kids have such crazy ideas, and even moreso that they believe so strongly in their right to make their own decisions. God help them. And God help their parents.
***


7 Comments:
And God bless us everyone.
You know, i thought i did pretty well getting through the first 10 years of "A"s life. She had a couple of extremely bad illnesses that just tested my faith.
I thankgod i have friends who have older children who have "been there,done that" to help guide me through the next 10.
Julie's pretty convinced she wants a tattoo too - and she's only EIGHT! I told her if she waited until she was eighteen, I might actually get one with her :-) Who knows - by then, mid-life crisis might have hit and I'll need something to spice up my life!
I was going to get a tat once.. but could never figure out what to get..so I didn't. :)
Nice post Dale :)
I'm heavily tattooed -- more, now, than when my daughters were born. As they grew, and asked me about my tats, I told them the stories which went with each one. I also told them how difficult it made Life In Israel. Anyway, when Shira (the older one) turned 18, she said to me, "Daddy, I want to get a tattoo." I replied, "Didn't you listen to anything I told you all these years?!" To make a long story shorter, I had to find a high-quality -- art and antiseptic -- tattoo shop in Tel-Aviv, Israel, and take her there. She paid for the tattoo, herself.
Guess I really don't see what's the big deal about tattoos. But then again my son didn't want any so I never had to deal with it, either. It might have been different, then.
So, why did she ask if there was a real possibility her mom would take her anyway? Because she cares about your opinion! That's a good thing. I hope she keeps her promise.
~K!
Post a Comment
<< Home