A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, November 04, 2005

Good News and Bad

I'll give you the bad news first.

Well I don't know what's going on here, but according to a very recent and ongoing virus scan, this machine has been infected with more than 2400 threats. "Netsky P", "SORRY", "WORM SD BOT", "HLLO", "HELLRAISER", "HOOTERS", "KEYPRESS", ...

I could go on. Every worm and trojan and virus known to man has suddenly found its way into my computer. I use a software product (updated daily) called Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security. It was recommended and sold to me by the Nerd who last repaired this machine. It cost, I think, about $90. I was downloading music this afternoon from Limewire and I rushed off to work, leaving the computer on and the programme running. That was a mistake. It could turn out to be a costly one. I've called the Nerd. He says he'll be over next week.

So my computer is buggered, Ms J. But my furnace worries are over. The bank called today. They're happy to offer me a loan of $8000. A line of credit, actually. I'll go to the bank on Tuesday to sign the papers. I also got a call from the heating contractor. The $4000 guy. Brian, the cheaper of the two. He said he had discussed my asbestos problem with his boss and they agreed to remove the offensive stuff from my pipes.

"No extra charge."

He told me it's not as dangerous as I might think. And he promised me they'd remove it carefully and properly. I didn't ask about their lack of a licence. I just want the asbestos out of here. And I really didn't want to do it myself.

"What about references?" I asked him. "Is there someone I can contact to verify your workmanship?"

He gave me a phone number and the man with whom I spoke was quite pleased with that contractor.

"They did what they agreed to do and they cleaned up afterwards. Yeah. I'm pleased with what they did here. I haven't paid them yet, though. Make sure you don't pay them the full amount til the job's done to yer satisfaction, eh?"

I thanked the fellow - Bender was his name - and called Brian again.

"OK, Brian," I told him. "Looks like you get the job. I'll give you a call next week and we'll set a date to begin the work."

Apparently, it'll take the gas company about eight weeks to install the piping and gas meter. I won't be feeling the warmth from a gas-fired boiler until early next year. But at least the plan is coming together.




I start three weeks vacation on Monday, Ms J. Tomorrow morning, my brother and I are driving up to his cabin in the woods. We'll spend three days there building a gazebo. Pat's the handyman, not me. He's designed it and built it already at home. He dismantled the structure and transported it to his property up north. I'll help him put it back together on site. I'll take some pics and show you what we did when I get home on Tuesday.

Take care, Ms Journal. And stay inside. If you venture out into the virtual 'hood, you risk being attacked by some malevolent viral infection. Good luck, old girl. See you on Tuesday. I hope.

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Geez Dale, it seems the both of us have our computers in the "wars"! Although mine isn't viral. Mines just screwed by Flash media player 8 and needs reformatting.

You drive carefully, have a fun time, see ya when you get back :)

4 November 2005 at 22:33  
Blogger PBS said...

Glad to hear that your heating problems are being solved. Have a really good vacation time away at the cabin!

5 November 2005 at 12:51  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Enjoy your time away, Dale. I'll keep checking back for your return. Glad to know that you won't be completely frozen this winter.

8 November 2005 at 12:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home