A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, October 28, 2005

Some People Say the Dumbest Things

Morning, Ms J. Some people really do come up with some doozies, don't they? My sister-in-law once asked the butcher for "about a kilometre" of sausage. The man behind the counter offered her a correction.

"Do you mean a kilogram?" he asked.

Linda furrowed her brow and scratched her head.

"No," she said. "I'm pretty sure it's a kilometre I need."

I don't know for certain how things turned out that day, but I don't recall hearing my brother complain about having to store half a mile of sausage in a small fridge. Linda must have gotten a kilogram instead. About 2.2 pounds.

Yogi Berra was an American baseball player. A catcher. He is without a doubt, the most widely quoted man in baseball. His Yogi-isms are among the dumbest ever spoken. Here are some of his most famous gaffs:

"It ain't over til it's over."

"Never answer an anonymous letter."

"I usually take a two hour nap between 1 and 4."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"I didn't really say everything I said."

"You can observe a lot by watching."

"You mean now?" in response to being asked what time it is.

"The future ain't what it used to be."

"It gets late early out there."

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

And in response to New York mayor John Lindsay's wife complimenting him on appearing cool on a sweltering afternoon: "Thanks. You don't look too hot yourself."

***

5 Comments:

Blogger PBS said...

I like those quotes. Some of them are so famous that they really don't sound that dumb anymore!

28 October 2005 at 10:40  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Reminds me of Walt Kelly's Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and they is US!"

28 October 2005 at 11:36  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And to think that Yogi is smarter than the average Bera.

28 October 2005 at 16:30  
Blogger Michelle said...

hehehehehehe some people........

29 October 2005 at 02:20  
Blogger gemmak said...

Lol....my 1st husband went into a store that soley hired out TV's and when the assistant asked if he could help him he said "Do you rent TV's"...duh! heh

30 October 2005 at 12:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home