Father/Daughter Conference
I won't bore you with a long, detailed post, Ms J, other than to tell you it was awesome! Scout and I both had a brilliant time. We hiked a bit together. We rode horses together.

Meagan rode Billy. I rode Ben.
On a hilltop under a spectacularly bright full moon, we sang with others around a crackling campfire. We attended seminars - together and separately - to learn ways to better relate to each other. I learned how to listen and to parent her; Meagan learned that despite some silly mistakes, dads love their daughters. The conference was designed to empower dads and daughters, and to allow us to find the courage to say the things we'd longed to say.
On Saturday afternoon, we held each other and wept as we shared our hopes and fears for the future. She apologised for withholding her Love during the time my leg was first broken. She was angry with me for things I had said about her mum. She didn't realise how much it hurt me not to see her for those three months. And I am so sorry for hurting her. I told her how frightened I am that she'll risk her own happiness, as her mother and brother have done, by making poor decisions. I told her that lots of people love her and counted them on my fingers: God, me, Mum, Daniel, Grandma and Granddad and yes, Scott too.
"But of all the people in the world who love you, Scout, who do you think is the most important?"
Tears had turned her eyes the soft blue colour of tropical seas.
"You?" she asked.
I shook my head slowly and stared into her eyes. After a moment, she lowered her head and shrugged her shoulders. A salty drop splashed silently on her folded hands.
"No, honey. You are. If you love youself as much as God loves you, as much as I love you, then you'll never, ever do anything that might hurt you. You'll want only the best things Life can offer you. You'll want to look after yourself. You'll want your Self to be happy."
My cheeks were wet now too. I sniffed and wiped my nose with a tissue.
"Do you understand what I'm saying, Meagan? Please hear my words. This is very important."
"I understand, Daddy. I won't disappoint you."
I gently lifted her chin to look into her face. When she met my gaze, I raised my eyebrows and waited.
"And I won't disappoint me either," she said finally.
Then we embraced again and together, we wept.

I love you to the moon and back, Meagan.
Thank you, God, for this child. Thank you for giving her wisdom. Thank you for her beautiful heart. Protect her.
Amen.
***

6 Comments:
Awwww, Dale! That is so wonderful! Here's to you, Megan and your beautiful weekend!
OMG Dale,
That is so wonderfull!!!! I wish that I could have that same conversation with Cara and Tash. I know I could have that with Cara, but Tash is still not ready. I am so happy for you and Meagan!!!
Rock On!!!!
Sounds exactly what the both of you needed to reaffirm your connection. Both of you are lucky to have each other, so glad you both had a memorable time together :)
Sounds WONDERFUL Dale! That's an investment you'll never regret - one that pays in dividends! Your daughter is lucky to have you.
Dear Dale,
You have a riveting web log
and undoubtedly must have
atypical & quiescent potential
for your intended readership.
May I suggest that you do
everything in your power to
honor your Designer/Architect
as well as your audience.
Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.
Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
Dr. Howdy
'Thought & Humor'
P.S. Goggle's new "Word Verification" process is a good idea but a dyslexic person's nightmare...
"Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence."
Please remember to never split an infinitive. And please remember to learn a language before attempting to write it. Here's a good one for you, Anvilcloud! LOL!!
Post a Comment
<< Home