A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Royal York Road United Church

Quite a mouthful, eh Ms J? It's a new church and an old church. Let me explain. My own church here in Mimico is closed for the month of July. I've made a point of attending a new church each Sunday this month. This morning, it was Royal York. It felt a little like a homecoming because I used to attend that church. It was so long ago. Two wifetimes ago.

When we were little, Mum took us to church each week. All six of us. If for some reason I was unable to go, I was allowed to stay home and watch Bullwinkle with Dad. I didn't see Bullwinkle very often. Our church then, was Queensway United Church. The congregation got smaller and smaller until we had no choice but to abandon our church building and amalgamate with another congregation. It was Royal York Road United Church who took us in. They were a much wealthier group and I didn't like it there much.

Actually, I was at an age when I was starting to question religion. I was about Meagan's age (13), and starting to question all my parents' beliefs. I rejected most of it outright. Just because. I remember watching my mother head upstairs to church while I pretended to go downstairs to Sunday school. As soon as she was out of sight, I'd head off up the road to spend my collection money on candy. I felt no guilt. I was happy. Mum was happy. I'd arrive back at the car when it was time to go home.

I thought of that this morning while I endured the most boring sermon I've ever heard. I wonder if Mum ever knew what I did? What might she have done? Would she have made me feel guilty for stealing money from the church? I suppose she would have conceded my new agnosticism and left me home with Dad and Bullwinkle.

While the preacher droned on this morning, I looked around the sanctuary and noticed the details. Things you might not see unless you were really looking. New speakers on the wooden rafters high above the floor. How did they get them up there, I wondered. They'd need a massive step ladder. Or scaffolding. The windows were stained glass, but not particularly inspiring. They did not depict great biblical tableaux like the ones at Wesley Mimico United. They were just pieces of glass, different colours and shapes, all sewn together with dull strips of lead. The standard wooden cross on the wall behind the altar was smaller than I remember it, and bore intricately carved designs. I decided it was ostentatious and allowed my thoughts to continue meandering.

I got married in that church. We all did. Three sisters and a brother. I don't recall the date now, but it was in the spring of 1985. The minister who married us is dead now. My inlaws are both dead. The marriage itself is long dead. It was doomed from the beginning because although Dan and Scout both love their mother, I never did. I thought a lot about that, too.

I made a mistake, Ms Journal. A costly mistake. My lack of judgement, my lack of wisdom and experience brought pain not only to me, but to Kelly and most especially to two innocent children. Guilt? Yeah, I've got some of that. It's less that it used to be, but it still comes to visit my heart from time to time in quiet moments. And it still hurts a bit.

But I've got Dan and Meagan, haven't I? I wouldn't have met them if I hadn't married Kelly. Both kids have rejected the church, as I did when I was that age. I was 13 when I stopped attending church. At 26, I strode back into that sanctuary. But only to get married.

Ultimately, it was the storms of Life that eventually blew me back to church. I have Donna (my second wife) to thank for that. Insecurity and my desperate need for romantic Love led me to follow her down a path toward illegal drugs and illicit sex. And lies. And more lies. Despite this, I was absolutely shattered when she ended our marriage in 2000. No one could help me. Nothing could take away my pain. I thought my cheeks would never dry. So I went to church, and there I found peace. I found new friends. I found a new, healthier and happier Life.

It's my birthday today. I'm 47. I don't have Life all figured out. But I do understand myself and my Self a bit better today. I'm no sage or wise prophet, but I can tell you this with assurance:

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.

And that's fine with me. My Life is, and has been, moving in the direction that will offer me the greatest challenges and therefore the greatest opportunities to learn and to grow, for myself and for others and to the glory of God.

It does however, seem a dreadful tragedy that a man might live out two-thirds of his Life before arriving at such a conclusion.

Happy Birthday, Dale. I love you. Unconditionally.

Me

***

14 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, I guess there's an upside to a boring sermon -- a great blog!

24 July 2005 at 17:00  
Blogger Michelle said...

Many live out their lives without coming to that conclusion, your one lucky sausage!

24 July 2005 at 18:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Dale. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marie

24 July 2005 at 18:24  
Blogger Larry said...

Hey Dale,

I didn't realize that TODAY was your birthday....

Happy Birthday Dale

Friend to friend.....I know we don;t talk as much as we did during the plays, but I know you know I always read your blog, as I know you read mine....

I understand everything that you have and are going through....I have been there, and I am there....

I think of what you told me when I was at my DEEPEST depths going through my breakup with Christine, but deep down you kept saying to belive in myself, and in not so many words I felt you were saying to BELIEVE...

Dale.....I DO.....and in two weeks that will become a reality.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I hope this year is EVERYTHING you want it to be.....Make this year SHINE!!!!!!!!



Hugs....

24 July 2005 at 19:57  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Happy Birthday dear blogging friend.

24 July 2005 at 20:46  
Blogger Donna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DALE!!!

I love your blog. Of all the blogs I read (which totals about half a dozen), yours is the one that is written from the heart and very often brings a tear to my eye.

I love your outlook on life, your patience with your children and your close friendships.

You truly are a good father and a good friend.

25 July 2005 at 05:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,Frank.

25 July 2005 at 08:10  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Happy Birthday! Your honesty is refreshing. So glad you've come through all that with such strength and the ability to touch other people when they're down. I bet you didn't think, at your lowest point, that you'd ever be preaching a sermon! Yes, God works in mysterious ways.

25 July 2005 at 09:43  
Blogger Loner said...

You know, we all do the best that we can. I settled a couple of times - felt guilty about all the things my kids went through, but in the end - we do what we have to do to survive. You have sure learned a lot!

Happy Brithday - a day late!

25 July 2005 at 10:20  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Many happy returns, Dale. Hope you had a lovely day.

25 July 2005 at 16:31  
Blogger Zette said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Dale!

*sending BIG HUGS & KISSES your way*

~Zette~

28 July 2005 at 18:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wesley Mimico United was my church back then in the 60's. I spent quite a few offering coins at the candy store on Mimico Ave. on the way to church. Loved those JuJubes - no one could hear you chewing them.

28 August 2005 at 20:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of the ministers at Royal York Road and you really scared me for a minute, but I wasn't preaching that week! I pride myself on not droning on!! Let me know if you stop by to visit again!!

7 November 2006 at 15:09  
Blogger mgifford said...

Thought you'd want to know that the Royal York Road United Church has a new website.

Thanks for the blog post. A spiritual community is an important thing to have.

21 November 2007 at 09:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home