A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, July 21, 2005

A Day With Friends

I was sitting at the computer this morning, fiddling with settings and downloading updates when the phone rang. It was Larry Gower.

"Dad and I are going to The Canadiana for breakfast, Dale. Wanna join us?"

So I went. The Canadiana restaurant is a local favourite of mine and only a few blocks from home. I enjoyed ham and and eggs with my friends. Larry has recently returned to work on the railroad after a back injury three years ago nearly crippled him permanently. His father, Ron, was a big help to me when I first broke my leg. He delivered groceries to me and occassionally taxied me to appointments.

I had lunch with Frankie. She collected me at noon and handed me a card and a piece of chocolate cake. "Happy Birthday!" she exclaimed as she hugged me. "I know your birthday's not til Sunday, but in case I don't see you before then ..." She's very sweet, Frankie is. And happily married to Tom. "Let's go," she said and the two of us went to the beach.

Frankie brought drinks and fruit. My contribution was bologna sandwiches and stale cookies. The sandwiches were good. We fed the cookies to the geese and the squirrels. Frankie spotted a ragged looking gull and when we got closer to him, we discovered he had only one foot, poor thing. I suppose his disability will eventually cause his death. We tried to keep the healthy, but determined gulls from stealing the bits of cookie from their weaker mate, but we weren't always successful. After lunch, we walked by the water collecting sea glass for Frankie. She took me home around 3:00.


Much cooler by the lake. (Aren't I?)

I went next up to see Tom and Marie at Wine Not and bottled a batch of Pinot Noir. Thirty bottles. It didn't take long and by 4:30 I was home again. I carried the bottles a few at a time down to the cellar. By the time I was done, I was soaking wet from sweat. I had a cool shower and laid down to rest my sore back. (My back's been sore for three weeks now, Ms J. I should visit the chiropractor I suppose, but I'd rather just complain about it.)

I fell fast asleep on the couch and when I awoke, my back was worse than ever. And I was supposed to be at Kirk and Rey's house for dinner. I called Rey and told her I was late, but still coming.

"No problem," she chimed. "See you when you get here."

She served us stuffed chicken breast and rice and I even had a little bithday cake with one special candle on it. I wished that my back would soon feel better and blew out the tiny flame.

After dinner, we watched a movie together - "Hitch" starring Will Smith as a dating counselor. It was really good. Before I left Kirk and Rey, they gave me a Deep Heat patch for my lower back. It seems to have helped. Thanks, you guys!!

It was a communion day. It was about breaking bread with friends. The bread was good. The friends are excellent!

***

4 Comments:

Blogger mrhaney said...

it sounds like you had a very good day.

22 July 2005 at 01:35  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yaaaaaaay, sounds as though you had a wonderful time. The poor seagull, you know we have them here, they last forever on one leg. Infact they are so well fed coz people feel sorry for them..lol.
My goodness, with all this socialising you'll never want to work again! Although socialising does get expensive.

22 July 2005 at 02:39  
Blogger Linda said...

Now that sounds like a perfect day to me.

22 July 2005 at 09:25  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

What a great way to spend a day!

And yes, you ARE pretty cool by the lake!

And if I forget on Sunday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

22 July 2005 at 15:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home