A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tidying Up and Looking Outward

I cleared off my mantle this morning. I did some housework and when I came to the mantle above the fireplace, I stopped and stared for a long minute at the cards I had there on display. Get well cards. About sixteen of them. They were given to me by friends, mostly, and coworkers. And family. Sixteen cards. I gathered them up one at a time, and read each one again.

There was a card from Girl Alex, hand made "especially for Dale." I'm keeping that one. Frankie's was hand crafted as well. "Spirit is with you," it said. "Get well soon." I'm keeping that one, too. "One great big hug," said one. "Take good care of yourself," said another. Rhonda wrote that she was thinking of me. Dolly's card wished me a "speedy recovery", Kevin's card offered assistance with "anything at all. Don't be afraid to ask. Whatever you need ..."

"Into each Life some rain must fall," said a card from Mum and Dad. Inside was a beautiful handwritten note, signed by Mum.

The last one I read was from my brother, Pat and his wife, Linda. Encouragement was the gift it presented. The verse inside seemed to offer an apt summation of all the get well wishes of all the people who have cared for me and about me these past five months:

"Sometimes the winds of adversity struggle against us ... and the frustrations of Life dampen our endeavors. But it may help you to know that there are many friends who care about you. We are here to support you, and to help you in any way we can."

The words found their way into the depths of my heart and I sat and cried quietly. I cried for myself and for how much I've missed by not seeing my children. I cried tears of gratitude for the Love I've been shown and for the people - some of whom I'll never meet - who have left encouraging comments here and/or sent email. Thank you all so much.

My thoughts then turned to another person who hurts. We know her. We all know her, or should. Her name is Maggie. You'll find her blog here.

Maggie has suffered the loss of a number of people she loved. And they've all left her in the past four weeks. Maggie's birthday is on Thursday, June 16th.

She's a very strong woman. She'll survive her current sadness. It will not defeat her. But she's human and her heart is tender. Won't you please visit her blog and wish her a Happy Birthday? Email her, too.

And as if she doesn't have enough to contend with, her computer is not working right now. She's doing her best to free it of the virus it contains, but until it's repaired, she'll feel cut off from her friends here in the blog world. Think of her. She lives in the south-western U.S. Arizona, to be exact. Let's hold dear Maggie in our thoughts today, if only for a minute or two. Send her positive energy. Wish her well. Do it now. Fall still. Close your eyes. I really believe it'll make a difference. It can't hurt. And when she gets back online, her inbox will fill with encouragement from around the world.

"Sometimes the winds of adversity struggle against us ... and the frustrations of Life dampen our endeavors. But it may help you to know that there are many friends who care about you. We are here to support you, and to help you in any way we can."

Happy Birthday, Maggie! Wherever you are. We love you.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger gemmak said...

Awwwww Dale, that made me cry and not much does that! A wonderful post and for one of the most wonderful women I know. Thanks Dale for taking the time to write this and Magz sweetie, I'm thinking of you and wishing you a Happy birthday :o) *hugs*

16 June 2005 at 08:09  
Blogger Larry said...

Well....Let me load up the SUV...and off I go to visit Magz as well....

Great Post Dale..............

16 June 2005 at 11:06  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lovely post Dale :) I have sent cards, posted balloons and now i have just have to give that gal a call!

16 June 2005 at 17:39  
Blogger taza said...

How sweet to visit you and read the lovely words you sent to Ms. Magz! You're right, she's strong--but has been sorely tested this past month or two. I'm off to see her Sunday and I'll make sure she knows about your post, since she didn't comment here yet.
Kudos to you, Dale!
:)

17 June 2005 at 22:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home