"Hot, eh?"
If I hear that one more time today, I may be forced to murder the person who said it.
It's hot in Mimico, Ms J. Humid. Sticky. Completely disgusting. I don't know of anyone who enjoys this kind of weather. It's currently 31C. That's 88F for our American friends. Environment Canada takes pleasure in using something called "Humidex" to make us even more miserable. Here's an example of a local weather forecast:
"It's 31 outside right now with a humidex reading of 40. A severe thunderstorm watch and a smog warning both remain in effect. The winds are calm."
Isn't that lovely, Ms J? It's 31C and so humid, that it feels more like 40C. That's 104F. What the hell are we going to do when summer arrives? This weather is not only nasty, it's dangerous. At risk are the very old and the very young. And anyone with respiratory problems. I feel sorry for people who live in flats without air conditioning. My friend, Andra is one of those. She lives on the third (top) floor of a building and she has no a/c. Instead, she has two great fans that blow papers off the table and frighten her cats.
"I take a lot of cool showers," she says.
So do I, Andie. But not for the same reason. (Wink, wink.)
I drove to the wine store this morning and bottled thirty bottles of Pinot Noir. I had to carry it into the house and down to the basement alone. I hate going down stairs, Ms J. Any stairs. I am scared of falling. My cellar stairs are steep. If I ever fell there and injured (re-injured) myself, I might wait a long, long time for help. So I carried only six bottles at a time and made five trips between the cellar and the car outside. I was soaking wet when I'd finished.
I drank a huge tumbler of lemonade and laid down on the couch in front of the fan where I fell asleep. I slept for nearly two hours. It's the heat that tires me out. It's dreadful! I feel as limp as a wet dish rag.
How can there be so much moisture in the air without clouds forming? Every day for the past week or so, the weather forecast has been the same:
"Sunny, hot and humid with a risk of thunder-showers."
We're still awaiting the rain. The earth is parched. The air is dirty. We really need rain. Let that be my prayer, then.
"Please Lord, bring us the blessing of your rain. Cooler temperatures would be welcome too."
Do you think He reads this blog, Ms J? I'll bet He does, although He doesn't comment. Or perhaps He does comment, but uses other names. Gemmak. Jennytc. Sarah. Loner. Michelle. Ann. Larry. Jennefer. Et al.
***

4 Comments:
It seems we can find no balance in this fine country of ours. We're getting all of the rain and none of the heat. We'd GLADLY send some of this #@#$%@! rain your way if only we could! And the sun... well, we've almost forgotten what that is!
ahem. maybe HER name could be magz... lol. i worked outside cleanup moving heavy stuff allllll day today, but heck, it only hit 98 degrees farenheit, IN THE SHADE.....
hi dale! still here, still love you! happy yer drivin again, now when ya driving that train?
I'm envious! We have around 27c during the day but only 10 humidity and 16 overnight with 0 humidity....and its winter!
Dale,
This is God.
Be glad that you don't live in south Georgia....they have 98% humidity and the temperature hovers around 94-98F with the "heat index" (same as your humidex) of 115-120.
It could always be worse.....
Remember I love you regardless of the temperature or humidity index and I've sent you many friends through this blog. See? I do read and comment :)
God
Post a Comment
<< Home