A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Leg raised. Mood lowered.

My sister brought me home from the hospital on Friday. Dan made me some lunch, then went out for two hours. He returned in a sorry shape. He was wasted off his head. Pot, I guess. I hope. I dunno. I didn't handle it very well. I freaked out on him, told him his timing couldn't possibly have been worse. I retreated upstairs to my bedroom and slammed the door, leaving him crying downstairs.

He called his mum. She got us to reconcile. The evening ended OK. But nothing was resolved. Nothing ever gets resolved.

Saturday was crazy. The phone never stopped ringing from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Friends. Relatives. Well-wishers, all. Many people dropped by with food, groceries, offers of help. Getting off the couch to answer the door seemed a great personal sacrifice for Dan. He moped around here all day. But he didn't get high.

My leg hurts like hell. I can't sit long at the computer because I need to keep my leg elevated to ease the throbbing. The doctor says the first week is the toughest. My foot and leg are swollen grotesquely inside the cast. So I won't be spending much time here posting updates. I wish I had a laptop computer with a cordless modem. But that's not gonna happen.

Time off work? Not a good thing at all. My sick pay, after I've filled out all the requisite paperwork and gotten the forms signed by a doctor (remember, I cannot walk. A trip to the doctor's office is an oddysey.), and after a two-week waiting period while the insurance company "processes" my claim, will amount to about 60% of my regular pay. So no, 6-8 weeks off work will not be a "good" thing. It'll be a stressful, unpleasant, painful, bloody hell of a thing, shut in this house with a boy who's 18, emotionally unwell, and a drug addict. Sorry for the pessimism, but right now, it seems accurate.

Maybe things will look better next week.

5 Comments:

Blogger magz said...

my friend? take me up on my previous offer.. Michelle sez it's ok..
but i think we'll ditch the dans.
please take care of yerself, and i dont like to say this, but keep your perscription painpills very VERY secure...and count them. often.
i love you dale.. see u soon

13 February 2005 at 11:11  
Blogger Jennytc said...

As if you didn't have enough to deal with without having Dan acting like that! Take all your friends up on their offers of help. thinking of you.

13 February 2005 at 12:28  
Blogger gemmak said...

This is probably a stressful time for Dan and maybe that's why he got high BUT it's a damn sight more stressful for you and it's about time he thought of someone else but himself for a few minutes! Set him some boundaries, if he oversteps them pack him off to his mother, you don't need it right now. Look after yourself for a time. Take care you *hugs* xx

13 February 2005 at 18:00  
Blogger Julie said...

I send you lots of thoughts and prayers and healing energy. May you recover soon and have peace and harmony in your house, many blessings, Julie ann

13 February 2005 at 19:08  
Blogger Larry said...

Hey Dale,

Just a quick post....I know that everyone is calling....including me...but if there's anything you need....drop me a line....
Oh...with your sick benefits....I think that the 60% is NOT taxable...I know when I had my heart problems I was going to be on that as well....and it was 60% tax free....thats makes a difference.....check into it...

Cheers

14 February 2005 at 11:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home