A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, February 11, 2005

I Knew It. I Just Knew It!

"Life has become difficult and stressful and I fear something awful might happen at any moment."

Those were my words, Ms J. That's what I wrote in my last post. "I fear something awful might happen at any moment." When did I write that? Monday? Well, on Tuesday I went to the church. I needed help. I wanted to talk to Linda, our minister, to ask for some guidance. I was pretty sure I knew what needed to be done (separate myself from Kelly and hold onto a relationship with Dan and Scout) but I didn't know how to accomplish it. I felt so sad and so sorry. I knew I had re-crossed a boundary and re-broken a promise I'd made to the kids about speaking disrespectfully of their mother. I was hurting inside. I needed some help. So I walked over to the church.

I banged on the front door and Linda opened it.

"Hi Linda," I said. I'd like to speak with you a while. Do you have some free time right now?"

"Not right now," she smiled. "But can you give me half an hour, Dale? I've got someone in my office at the moment."

I told her that was fine. There were a few little tasks I wanted to complete around the church (I'm on the property committee) and I had lots of time before I had to return to work. When Linda went back inside, I turned my attention to the front lawn of the church yard.

We'd had an elaborate Christmas creche there and some of the items had been frozen so tightly in the ground, we'd had to leave them when we'd dismantled the creche. There were eight sheep, two or three white floodlights, and about twenty wooden stakes of various lengths. It was a mild day and I thought perhaps the ground might be soft enough now to allow removal of these items.I worked away happily until I had pulled up all the stakes and all the sheep and all the lights. I just had to carry it downstairs and store it in the boiler room. But how?

I went in the back door of the church and down the steep wooden steps that led to the boiler room. There, I found an empty metal trash bin and carried it back upstairs into the early afternoon sunshine.

"I'll put all the wood in here," I thought, "and carry it all downstairs at once."

I carried the sheep downstairs first and then went back for the floodlights. The stairs were painted a glossy grey colour and my rubber-soled workboots were slippery and wet. As I began my final descent, this time carrying a heavy garbage can full of 2" x 2" wooden stakes, I slipped. I could not arrest my fall. I heard a loud snap like the breaking of a broom handle and as I tumbled and slid helplessly down a dozen more stairs, I thought, "Oh God. That can't be a good sound. I hope I haven't broken my ankle." I held tight to the trash bin, though, as though it might somehow be my salvation.

I lay crumpled at the bottom of the stairs and slowly took stock of my situation. My head was fine. No pain there. I was very worried about my neck and back, but I could move my head and arms and legs. I pushed the bin off my chest and examined my legs. I was shocked by what I discovered.

My right foot was turned out more than 90 degrees and there was an ominous-looking ridge across my shin from east to west. It looked bad, Ms J. Real bad.

The minister and her secretary were upstairs in their offices at the furthest possible point from me. I yelled for help.


"HELP ME! SOMEONE HELP ME, PLEASE!"

I knew they'd never hear me. I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"HELP!! PLEASE HELP ME!! MY LEG IS BROKEN!! I NEED HELLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!

I listened carefully for voices or movement of any kind upstairs, but the only sound I heard was the intermittant drip, drip, drip of ice water as it melted and trickled down from the eves outside the door through which I'd just entered. Somewhere, faraway, I heard a Blue Jay's shrill call.

I knew I was in shock. That's why my leg wasn't really hurting. Yet. I knew it soon would and I'd be in agony. I was all alone. And I tell you truly, Ms Journal, never have I ever felt so afraid. I desperately longed for someone to be with me. Anyone. Anyone. I thought of Dan and Scout at their mum's house in Acton. I thought of Kelly. I wished so much that they weren't all angry with me. I wished so much that I hadn't said what I'd said. I screamed again for help but echoes and silence were the only response I received from the cavernous gymnasium in the church basement.

It seemed hopeless, Ms J. Hopeless. I wondered how long I might lay there before some curious soul investigated the open door outside. It was behind the church. Rarely did anyone venture there. I decided it would be a long time before I was discovered. I began to cry then, deep, wracking sobs of helplessness and despair.

I was in church! The house of God. Where was He? Why had He done this to me? And why didn't He send someone to save me?

I felt my anger rising and so I screamed again. I screamed until my leg began to throb. It hurt like hell, but I didn't care. I just kept screaming.

"GOD!! HELP ME GOD!! WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU NOW, EH? HELP ME LORD!! SOMEONE HELP ME!! PLEASE!! I'VE FALLEN DOWN THE STAIRS!! MY LEG IS BROKEN AND I'M SCARED!! I'M REALLY, REALLY SCARED! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!"

When the last echo had died away, I heard a voice, a woman's voice, muted, as though behind a wall or a door.

"Hello! Where are you? Keep talking so I can find you."

So I kept hollering. And at last, she found me. It was Patricia Orr.

"What's the matter?" she asked as she crossed the gym floor and hurried toward me.

"I've fallen. I broke my leg. Please get help."

Help had arrived. I had lain there perhaps ten minutes. It felt like much more. I thought suddenly of the victims of an explosion - 9/11 victims in New York perhaps, or tsunami victims in Asia, or even car bombing victims in London or in the Middle East. I thought how horrible it must be to lie there amidst the rubble of a fallen building, injured and frightened, waiting for help that might never arrive.

Susan, the secretary, sat beside me on the stairs and held my hand while we waited for the ambulance. Linda, the minister was there too, smiling benignly but looking so distraught and helpless. Soon the ambulance arrived and whisked me off to the St Joseph's emergency where I waited 22 hours on a stretcher in the hallway. It wasn't too bad, actually. Nurses there offered hourly injections of morphine through an intravenous drip, which I happily accepted again and again.

The doctor applied a plaster cast, but the x-ray afterward showed that the bones had shifted. Both tibia and fibula were fractured at a sharp angle.

"We'll have to operate," the doctor said.

So they wheeled me down to surgery. The wheels on the stretcher were unusually loud and it wasn't until the nurse mentioned it, that I realised it was my stomach. I hadn't eaten for more than twenty-four hours!

Wednesday afternoon, they cut my leg and spliced the tibia with a piece of titanium and fastened it with a couple of small screws. I rested in hospital all day Thursday and this morning, they set me free. I have an appointment at the fracture clinic next Tuesday to have this soft cast removed, the sutures removed and a hard cast applied.

Many friends and family have rallied around to offer help and support. I'm grateful. My friends from church have been tremendous. My sisters. My parents. My preacher called Kelly to tell her what had happened. She called me later in the hospital.

"Dan says he wants to go back to stay with you, Dale. He says he wants to help his dad."

The Boy was here this morning when I arrived. He's been a great help. A long journey lies ahead for both of us. But somehow, we'll be alright. I don't know how, Ms Journal. But somehow, we'll all be alright.






15 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh Dale, i am so sorry for your pain. I hope this will bring Dan's relationship with you to a new level. Remember, god only lets us experience what he knows we can cope with.

11 February 2005 at 16:15  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse.

11 February 2005 at 17:11  
Blogger Melodee said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall! I hope you heal quickly.

11 February 2005 at 17:17  
Blogger magz said...

MY POOR FRIEND.. and what the HELL was up with the 22 hour wait in the hallway???

I have an idea.. since my surgery is going to be elective, but probably neccessary on my right knee, how bout we get 2 left legged gimps and 2 dans together in 1 house for the duration? someplace warm of course.. perhaps Michelle would put us up for a month or two, eh what?

I'm so very sorry for your pain my friend, call me when you're able. I (we) LOVE you Dale!

11 February 2005 at 20:47  
Blogger English Professor said...

Dale, I am SO sorry to hear about this! Oh my goodness! Do take care of yourself.
I don't agree with Michelle about God giving us only what we can cope with (sorry, Michelle--please don't think I'm a heretic), but I will say this: the next time you feel that something bad is about to happen, maybe it's the Holy Spirit warning you--go sit down somewhere quietly in a nice padded spot, and wait until the feeling passes!

11 February 2005 at 22:47  
Blogger Jade said...

Dale I do hope you heal quickly.. Please take it easy and rest.. Things will get better.

11 February 2005 at 23:34  
Blogger SidDawgone said...

ooooooooooh, Dale. Ug. What can we do but cry our most healing tears from a long way away and hope it helps. Thank you for your ever present empathy for others even when you're most down, your comparison was heartbreaking but wonderful. Please recover fully and quickly!

11 February 2005 at 23:35  
Blogger gemmak said...

Oh Dale, ontop of everything else what a horrible thing to happen. It's your turn now for some TLC, take care of yourself my friend. ......oh, and get a cell phone! *hugs* xx

12 February 2005 at 00:20  
Blogger Michelle said...

You betcha....you and Magz can lob on my doorstep any time..plenty of room, even a pool for rehab purposes....although its 100dgs at the moment :(

Ep ...no worries, if we all agreed with each other the world we be a boring place!

12 February 2005 at 01:00  
Blogger Zette said...

HOLY COW, DALE!!!! What a horribly scary thing to happen, now of all times. I wish I was there to give you a big hug and help you some how. I hope these next couple months of recovery help to heal more than your leg. Dan's eagerness to come back right away to help is a sign that you've done something VERY RIGHT in raising him, even though you may doubt it and him at times. Let him help, even when it seems to just irritate you. He is probably needing this as much as you. (Well, NOT THE BROKEN LEG, of course, but the time to show what he CAN DO, as opposed to what he CAN NOT DO!) Take good care of yourself and rest that leg....DON'T overdo it just yet. And as always, keep us up to date with what's going on. BTW....how's work handling this? Your injury isn't going to jeopardize your job any further with all the chaos going on there, is it? I'll be thinking of you and checking in often. Hugs and kisses! ~Zette~

12 February 2005 at 02:02  
Blogger Jennytc said...

What a terrible experience to have gone through - especially as you were feeling low anyway. Hopefully good will dome of it and you and Dan will be able to mend your relationship. I hope so. 22 hours on an stretcher - your health service is no better than ours, is it? Take good care of yourself.:)

12 February 2005 at 02:39  
Blogger Gel said...

Hi Dale- I'm new here- surfed right over when I saw Magz news on her blog. I wish you weren't in pain (emotionally and physcially.) I'm glad your son is there now to help you. Sending healing thoughts.

12 February 2005 at 04:15  
Blogger Larry said...

OMG Dale!!!!!

Was wondering if someting had happened to you.....I called you on Thursday I think and left a message at your place. You hadn't posted all week.

I didn't read any blogs till this afternoon, as I've been at my friends last night and at the theatre this morning.

If you need ANYTHING Dale, give me a call.

I'm so gald tha Dan wanted to come down and help you.....Thats AWESOME...

Love ya man!!!!

12 February 2005 at 16:23  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Dale, I'm glad to hear that you're going to be alright. I'm sorry to hear about the leg - good thing you brought a spare, though. Best of luck in your recovery, with Dan along to help.

14 February 2005 at 09:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale, I'm a friend of Magz--and WOW, you don't MESS AROUND, do you? That's a 1st-class LIFE INTERRUPTER you did there. So, since you obviously needed time to chill, I hope you are chilling with FEELING. (Remember to thank the universe--even though it may seem counter-intuitive right now.)
Sending love n hugs!
Taza
tazag@msn.com

19 February 2005 at 22:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home