A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, January 22, 2005

A Tale of Pie and Disappointment

I baked a pie yesterday, Ms J. My first ever. It's an apple pie. Dad loves apple pie and I had planned to take it to him today. A birthday pie, as it were. I called my sister for directions.

"Oh apple pie is pretty easy," Jill said. "Are you going to make the crust or buy one of those frozen ones?"

Hmmm, I thought. Frozen pie crust, eh? That would surely simplify things, wouldn't it?

"Frozen, Jill. Definitely frozen. Yeah. "

I sounded like Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman".

So my sister told me what to buy (Macintosh apples are good for pies) and what to do and in less than an hour, my pie was ready to go in the oven. The phone rang and I ran to answer it. It was June.

"Did you make your pie yet?" she asked.

I said I had.

"Well we're not going to Dad's on Saturday now. The whole thing's been postponed until next weekend."

I felt so disappointed, Ms J. We had planned to go to Mt Forest to spend Saturday with Mum and Dad. Everyone was going. Each of us was bringing something to eat so Mum wouldn't have to cook. I was baking a pie, dammit!

"Why, June?" I asked. "How come it's cancelled?"

My sister corrected me.

"Not cancelled. Postponed. We're doing it next Saturday."

"But why?"

"Haven't you been listening to the weather forecast?" she said. "There's a big storm coming. They predict 20 cm of snow and gusting winds. I already called Mum. She agrees if it's not safe to travel, we should stay home."

"Yeah, but I'll have both kids here with me this weekend. I really wanted to take them both to see Mum and Dad. I've just spent $588. getting my car ready for the trip. I've got two new tires," I said and I could hear myself whinging.

"Well, you can bring the kids next weekend," said June and she was right. There's no point in risking our Lives on snowy country roads. We'll wait until next weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After work last night, I picked up Dan and Scout and brought them here to Mimico. When we'd removed our coats and boots, Dan headed immediately for the kitchen where he spied the pie, freshly baked and sitting on the counter.

"What's this, Dad? A pie of some sort?" He bent down and smelled it. "Could it be apple, by any chance? Did YOU bake this apple pie, Dad? Do you think we should test it to make sure it's safe? Do you think we should sample a small or possibly large piece? With some cheese? Hmmmm?"

Gosh that boy makes me laugh sometimes. And in Truth, I was keen to taste it as well. I cut the pie and we each had a slice. It was nothing short of delicious.

A pie, Ms Journal! I baked a pie all by myself! I'm so proud!!




6 Comments:

Blogger magz said...

3.14159... pi. ahhhhhh, young dan is a man after my own heart. fresh apple pi is ALWAYS best accompinied by very sharp chedder cheese.. as opposed to the icky fake whip cream or even ice cream, (tho the ice cream can be eaten as the dessert's dessert...)

nice ta see ya pal! all's good, and getting better every day...

22 January 2005 at 11:09  
Blogger Zette said...

MMMMMM!! Apple Pie...with Macintosh, no less! YUMMY! Can I come over for a slice? LOL! Congratulations, Dale on your first ever PIE! YAY!

22 January 2005 at 11:49  
Blogger Michelle said...

Mmmmmmmmmm...apple pie. However i need to know why you lot all eat it with cheese? I have never heard of this before. Down under we pile it sky high with vanilla ice cream or double cream...Mmmmmmmmmmmm

22 January 2005 at 15:56  
Blogger Dale said...

We like it with ice cream here too, Michelle. Vanilla. But it's really good with a slice of cheddar. Try it!

22 January 2005 at 20:30  
Blogger English Professor said...

Homemade pie--good for you! Apple pie is my very favorite.

Now, about that crust: was it really frozen, or the refrigerated kind in the red box (Pillsbury, I think)? Around here, all the frozen ones come in their own little aluminum pie plate, and they're quite awful.

22 January 2005 at 23:12  
Blogger Dale said...

Yup. Frozen, EP. In a yellow box. Tenderflake. Two in each and yes, it comes with an aluminium pie plate. I used the aluminium one this time because I don't have a proper pie plate. Next time ...

23 January 2005 at 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home