A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, October 11, 2004

What's A Family?

I must say, Ms J, this has been the best Thanksgiving I've had in ... well, ever! And I didn't see my family at all. Now don't misunderstand me. I love my family. I was invited to Mum and Dad's to take supper with them and a few assorted family members, but Mum had her turkey dinner on Saturday. That was the night of my date with Carol. I didn't want to break my date. Anyway, my brother was planning to be elsewhere and so were two of my four sisters. So it was destined to be a much diminished affair, compared to years past.

I had two delicious dinners, though - one on Sunday and another today. This year, Thanksgiving was shared with friends.

I drove over to Christine's house this afternoon and together we went to the home of a dear friend, Victoria. Victoria is an older lady, mother to seven grown children, all with red hair. Leigh Ann is one of them. She's a twin. I first met Leigh Ann in a play we did together with a local theatre group about three years ago. I met Christine the same way. I'm blessed to count these beautiful souls among my closest friends.

Victoria's home was soon filled with happy guests and the mouth-watering aroma of turkey and dressing and other culinary delights wafted from the cozy-warm kitchen. At first, I was glad Christine was with me. Leigh Ann and her mum were the only ones I really knew. But I'm a pretty gregarious guy (nowadays, post Donna) and I introduced Christine and myself and soon felt at home.

There were perhaps thirty people in that house: nephews and in-laws and an aunt and great-aunt who'd come all the way from California. And of course, there were Leigh Ann's siblings: Ron, Rob, Randy, Laura Lynn (her twin), Melissa, and Miranda, the youngest. All with boyfriends, husbands, wives, children. Gosh, there was quite a crowd. How honoured I felt to be part of their family celebration!

It was about 8:00 when Christine quietly asked if we could go home.

"I've got to prepare a presentation for work tomorrow, Daley."

"OK, Steenie," I said. "Let's go round and say our good-byes."

So we did. I gave Victoria and Leigh Ann warm hugs and told them both how pleased I was to be included. Christine did too. I really felt welcome in that home tonight. Like family. Good food. Good friends. The Germans have a word to describe that atmosphere. Gemuetlichkeit. There is no direct translation, but it means comfortable, cozy, warm, friendly-like.

I dropped Christine off at her home and hugged her good-bye and I smiled nearly all the way home. It's been an absolutely delightful Thanksgiving weekend, Ms J. Could it be that my "family" is much larger than I thought?


1 Comments:

Blogger Zette said...

Having spent all my growing years with lots of family around, I just assumed everyone else did too. Until I got married and suddenly every holiday was very lonely and sad because we were either too broke or too far away to celebrate. Not much has changed in 16 years for me, except my attitude. Now, I find I am happiest on holidays, even if it's just my daughter and myself, if I try to make less of the HOLIDAY and more of the time with the people I'm around.

Yes, I still miss my large family gatherings, but the less stressful holidays and memories I know I am creating for my daughter, warm my insides to no end. I'm glad you also found that warmth with your extended family!

25 October 2004 at 22:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home