A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Too much busyness

Hi Ms J. Boy have I ever been busy lately! I attend rehearsals in Caledon on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. On Wednesdays, I go to an Alpha meeting with Christine and Leigh Ann. Nearly every night is a late night for me. I haven't had more than four hours sleep any night this week. And this past Monday, there was a special rehearsal in Caledon made necessary by the fact that we open on November 4th and none of the cast know their lines. I am quite stressed about that, actually. This play, "Caught In The Net", is the most challenging one I've ever done. The director feels the same way, and he's been involved in community theatre for thirty years!

I know. "Let go and let God." Yeah. I'm trying to practice detachment here but it's difficult to let go. The play will run. The curtain will open and we'll either sink or swim. I'll do my best to learn my lines, and assume the others will do the same. That's all I can do.

Christine and Leigh Ann and Bob will be joining me on stage at church this coming Saturday. We're going to provide some after-dinner entertainment for about 120 people who'll be attending a great reunion party at Wesley-Mimico United Church. My friends and I will be performing four short vignettes from a play we did two years ago. We've had only one rehearsal and we're a bit rusty, but it's surprising really, how quickly it all comes back to you.

A man cornered me at work yesterday and asked if I'd like to play Santa Claus at the company Christmas party. I did it a couple of years ago, and I got a lot of positive feedback.

I felt myself getting ready to say yes, but fortunately, at the last minute, I was able to stop myself and utter a firm "NO." I have enough on my plate already, thank you very much.

I got my car back from the repair shop yesterday. They did a great job. It looks as good as new. The total bill was $2470. My insurance company paid all but $800. There was a $300. deductable on the policy and I also had to pay for some new steering components that were badly worn and in need of replacement. So, all in all, I guess I was pretty lucky, really. The poor deer didn't fare nearly as well, did he?


5 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Hey Dale,

I know exactly what you mean....THis play is killing us....You guys are doing a GREAT job, but it's a HUGE play...all the blocking, all the interaction action between the various characters. I know we are in crunch mode, but I think we can ALL pull togther and put on a GREAT presentation....I also know you you and your friends from Church will also pull off a great presentation at Church.....How do I know that???? FAITH.....

Great news about your car....Can't wait to see it tonight....

Larry

28 October 2004 at 16:15  
Blogger gemmak said...

Yay.........you said NO!!!! :o) xx

28 October 2004 at 17:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey uncle Dale! Wow, I've been reading your blog, and lately you sound really busy! I heard of your new play from Grandma, and it sounds like a good one, and as far as I've heard from you, it sounds really hard!! What is it about?? I really wish I could be there to watch you! I love coming to your plays! You're a brilliant actor! I think it's so great that you are into something you are really enjoying--- and something that I can enjoy too :) It's wonderful! Next year when I get back I deffinately want to see more of your plays!!! Good luck with memorizing the script! Good luck with the acting- I know it will be great! I love you lots,

Jenna-Lynn

xoxoxoxoxo

28 October 2004 at 18:04  
Blogger Zette said...

Sometimes the hardest thing to say is "NO", especially when you're as sweet and giving as you are. Congratulations on knowing your limits!

Glad your car is back and looking like new.
*YAY!*

28 October 2004 at 19:42  
Blogger magz said...

course, if that dear deer were nicely wrapped in freezer paper and labeled 'venison'....i'd say you fared well! (Your plays gonna be fine dale... just keep those big breathes in mind) love you!

28 October 2004 at 23:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home