Family Gatherings
I spent the long weekend camping with my family. Mum and Dad. Brother, Pat. Sisters, Donna and Helen. And sisters, Jill and June, the twins. Pat's wife, Linda. Jeff, their son. Meagan and I. Jill has a husband, Dave, and two kids - Erin and Jason. June has a husband too. Rob. And two kids - Shauna and Ryan. There were a lot of us in attendance. About eight others were unable to go. Together, there are enough of us to populate a small island nation.
We're a fairly close family. Always have been. Sure, there have been conflicts, but they're usually resolved quickly and with a minimum of tears or blood shed.
My brother and I enjoy teasing the youngest ones. Jill and June together have the four youngest. Four little ankle biters, all aged five and under. It's so rewarding to tease them, Ms J. They believe every silly thing you tell them, no matter how outrageous it is. They're so sensitive. Thin-skinned, I mean. They'll cry and pout at the slightest thing. And the children are no different.
OK. Sorry. I didn't mean that. I once had small children and I know how sensitive I was (still am) when I feel someone's picking on my kids. I get really defensive. Any parent would, I guess.
So there was little Ryan, kneeling on the grass, head buried in his hands, crying (or at least pretending to) over some toy that had been taken from him. His little bum presented itself as a ready target for the toe of my boot and I couldn't resist. So I prodded him gently. A few times. Not hard. I was only playing. Trying to get him to stand up and lighten up. It was just then, that June saw me.
"Leave him alone, for God's sake," she cried. "Why can't you just stop pestering him and leave him alone? I didn't tease your kids when they were that age. Why do you have to tease mine? Just leave him alone!"
She was really upset. I tried to joke my way out of it, but honestly, Ms J, my sister was right. She had me. I wonder why it's so much fun to tease them? Is it some kind of control thing? I mean, they're children for goodness sake! Don't they deserve to be treated with kindness? I would never hurt them. I love them. But I do enjoy pestering them. I did it to Dan and Meagan, when they were young. I still bug Meagan sometimes, but not often anymore.
I think I might do well to ponder my real motives here. What is it about teasing these kids that I find so rewarding? Do I enjoy listening to them squeal? Certainly not!! Do I want them to resent me? No. Am I keen to raise the ire of my sisters? I hope not. I'm four years their senior and I used to tease them unmercifully when we were young.
Maybe it's time, Ms J. Maybe it's time I learn to interact with young children in a way that doesn't involve teasing. I'm sorry Ryan. Uncle Dale will have to work on that. OK, Little Man?

2 Comments:
Lol...I had lots of things to say here but jenn beat me to it, so .....ditto to all that Jenn said and I'm glad too :o)
Thanks you two. But I really made a mess of things with Dan last night. I don't feel very proud of myself today.
Post a Comment
<< Home