Dilemma
I have a friend, Ms J, a dear friend who works for Bombardier. He's been kind to me over the years and I enjoy spending time with him and his lovely wife. I haven't discussed this with him yet, but I'm sure he has been offered one of the engineer positions and is, or soon will be, taking classroom training.
Here's my quandary:
I have decided not to train these people when they begin to learn how to actually operate a train. I don't have to agree to train anyone, and I sure as heck don't want to train someone so he can take my job.
But this man is my friend. He is excited about his future. He's looking forward to better working conditions, better hours, and a lot more money as an engineer. I'm pleased for him, Ms J. Really I am.
But while we railroaders contemplate an uncertain future, he'll be among the people who will have our jobs.
What shall I do if he appears on my locomotive one day? Do I make an exception and train him?
I think I'll visit him one day soon and discuss my feelings with him.
I hate the bastards who've done this to us. I hate my employer for declining to bid on the contract. But I love my friend and want what's best for him.
Do I want what's best for him, Ms Journal, even if it's not what's best for me?
***

2 Comments:
I understand "lines in the sand" pretty well and constructed a few of them in my lifetime. However, this guy will get trained regardless and your job will be gone regardless. A friend is a good thing to have.
Anvilcloud is a wise, though curiously named, person
Post a Comment
<< Home