A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mimicking in Mimico

I like birds, Ms J. I've discovered a fondness for them as I've grown older. When I was a boy, Dad would point out a bird and patiently urge me to stop and look at it. But I wasn't interested.

"Yeah, Dad. A bird."

"Not just a bird," he'd say. "It's a grackle. Look at his pretty head."

"Yeah. Pretty head. Throw the frisbee, Dad."

This morning, I heard the unmistakable song of a red-winged blackbird. He was nearby. When I located the source of the sound, I saw not a blackbird, but a mockingbird. How odd it was to hear a blackbird's song coming from something other than a blackbird! He stopped for a moment and then began again, this time as a cardinal. After a bit, he changed his tune again and sounded for all the world like a robin. I was mesmerized, Ms J!

At home here just now, I searched the internet for mockingbirds and stumbled upon this:



The Lyre Bird. Absolutely amazing!

***

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I thought it was great, but I guess the girlie birdies didn't agree.

10 July 2007 at 10:45  
Blogger Sarah said...

Camera and chainsaw noises?! That IS amazing!

As for mocking birds, they are the state bird of Texas and are everywhere. They make me smile. :)

10 July 2007 at 17:08  
Blogger PBS said...

I couldn't hear/see the clip, but I love birds now too. It's funny and almost exactly the same story as yours: my Dad loved birds and was always watching and IDing them while I just thought they were OK. Now I refilled my bird feeder and watch them from the window when I can!

11 July 2007 at 07:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home