Happy Birthday, Pat
It's my brother's birthday, Ms J. Pat is 55 years old today. Gosh, that seems pretty old, doesn't it? I can hardly believe I've got a brother who's 55. I've got a sister who's a year older at 56. My birthday's coming up soon as well. I'll be 48. We're all getting older, aren't we? I never really believed it would happen you know, this business of growing old. I suppose none of us did, but it happened nonetheless.
Pat is such a young person, Ms J, in so many ways. He still has wrinkle-free skin, a flat stomach and a head of thick, dark hair. He's still a good looking man, I think. When people meet us together, they often assume I'm older, although I'm actually seven years his junior. (I secretly hate him for that.) Well, not really, Ms J. I love my brother for he's the only one I've got. I have four sisters and somehow, they ended up with two brothers, lucky ducks. But alas, I have only one. And I love him.

Me and my big brother 2005
When we were kids, I always wanted to be like Pat. He was so cool. He had cool expressions and wore cool clothes. He drove a car and had a job. He could stay out as late as he wanted and not get in trouble. Dad let him carry a real rifle when we hunted groundhogs together, while I had only a BB gun. I couldn't wait til I was as old as my big brother.
Today, Pat still lives with Linda, the only woman he's ever loved. They've been happily married more than thirty years. His two kids, Jeff and Sherri are my oldest niece and nephew. Both are good people, and have good jobs. Sherri is a dental hygienist. Her brother is night manager at a local supermarket.
Pat has been a good father, and a good husband. He works hard to earn a living driving a lumber truck, but rarely complains. Indeed, if you asked him, he'd tell you he loves his job. My brother is just naturally happy, naturally content. Mum says he's been that way all his Life. He enjoys working with wood and has built things too numerous to mention. I envy him his creative abilities. Pat is warm and friendly and has an hilarious sense of humour. We both do. We spend a lot of time laughing when we're together.
I don't expect he'll read this (my brother's not much for books, Ms J, or reading) but I just wanted to say how much I respect him, how much I love him, and how grateful I am to have had such a wonderful role model.
Happy Birthday, Pat! I wish you many more.
***


6 Comments:
I think your brother Pat is pretty lucky to also have you in his life..
Actually, if you don't mind, I wanted to expand on my first comment...reading your blog allows me to have a small glimps into your extraordinary life...and I use that word because Dale it truly is. Your life experiences, your family the journey of your life..its all wonderful. You talk about the joy that you find in your life, your family..but I feel quite confident in saying that the joy YOU add to the lives of the people is a gift in itself. Continue to celebrate who you are, why you are here and enjoy the people you love. I think your path is speical and your presence here is truly needed.
Awww, that's a very sweet tribune to your brother. Happy Birthday to Pat!
I think Anon is right :o)
Happy Birthday Pat!!
What a nice tribute to your brother! You're lucky to have a close family like that. Happy Birthday to him!
Ah, but you have that indefinable air of authority, Dale! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home