Dramatix and Histrionix in Norval
I went to Norval last night to get Meagan. The search continues for clothes to wear to her grad ceremony. When I arrived, Dan was playing on the floor with his half-sister, Emily. Emily is two. Maxine was feeding baby David. David is my adorable grandson. He is seven weeks old.
"Hi Dan!"
"Hi Dad! How's it going?"
"Fine, boy. It's all good. Scout and I are going to pop in and see Uncle Pat before we head for Mimico. He's just bought a new car and I want to see it. Wanna come with us?"
He stood up and grinned.
"Yeah. Maybe I'll bring David. Can I, Dad?"
The Children's Aid Society told him he couldn't take the baby anywhere without Kelly. She is the official "guardian". I reminded Dan of this.
"Not anymore, Dad," he said. "The lady was here today. She looked at David and she told us we were doing fine. She didn't even check him for bruises this time."
Something inside me recoiled at his words, Ms J. Bruises? But the CAS has a duty to protect children who they deem may be at risk. Dan has a sordid past and Maxine is ... well, Maxine.
"So did she say you could take the baby out by yourself, Dan? Without your Mum?"
"Yup. She said we could take him out for an hour a day. She'll be watching us to see how that goes and then it'll get longer. She was real happy with the way things are going. Me and Maxine do pretty much everything for David. We bath him every day and feed him and change diapers and everything. I even clean the boogers out of his nose."
That was a bit more information than was necessary, Ms Journal.
"Do you have a car seat, Dan? We can't take the baby in the car without a special --"
"I know, Dad. I know. It's right there." And he pointed to a new child safety seat in the corner.
"Great then," I said. "Let's do it."
Dan hesitated a minute.
"I hope Maxine lets me go."
"Why wouldn't she, Dan? We're only going over to Uncle Pat's. We'll be back in half an hour."
"Yeah, but she'll want to come too."
Meagan had descended the stairs and now spoke in a quiet voice.
"She always has to go everywhere Dan goes, Dad. She never lets him go out alone or with his friends. I wish we could just go without her this time. Just you and me and Dan and David."
There was a commotion now in the living room. It was Maxine.
"NO, DANIEL! I WANT TO COME WITH YOU!"
"But Maxine," Dan pleaded, "We won't be long. I just want to go with my Dad and see my uncle's new car. He only lives in Georgetown. Please? Please, Maxine? We'll bring you back a treat."
But the girl was adamant. She wanted to come with us. And Dan didn't want her to come. Neither did Meagan.
"NO, DANIEL! YOU'RE NOT GOING WITHOUT ME!"
I was proud of my son. He did not raise his voice. He simply stated his intentions.
"Maxine, I'm going to see my uncle with my dad. I want my Auntie Linda to see David. Meagan and I are going. David too. We'll be back soon and we'll bring you a treat from Tim Horton's."
Maxine raced up the stairs, screaming hysterically and crying.
"FINE! GO THEN. I WON"T BE HERE WHEN YOU GET BACK. I'M CALLING MY GRANDAD TO COME AND GET ME!"
Dan was embarrassed. I was uncomfortable. Meagan was outraged.
"Fine. Be a bitch then, Maxine. We don't --"
I put my hand on Meagan's shoulder and she stopped mid-sentence.
"She's always doing this, Dad. She won't let Dan have a Life."
"Dan," I said. "I don't want to cause trouble for you, son. Maybe you'd better stay here. Or we can take Maxine with us."
He shook his head.
"No. I'm going out with you. And we're taking David. She'll get over it."
Maxine was still crying and screaming threats from upstairs when Kelly appeared from the basement.
"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON UP HERE?" she demanded.
Meagan tried to explain but Dan interrupted her.
"Shut up, Meagan. Maxine doesn't want me to go out with Dad, Mum. We're only going to Uncle Pat's. We'll be back in half an hour. But she's having one of her freak-outs."
Kelly stormed upstairs to confront Maxine. And then there were two hysterical women. There was lots of cursing (Kelly) and threats (Maxine). My kids and I stood in the foyer at the bottom of the stairs and looked at each other. I was holding baby David and I marveled at how relaxed he was. His belly was full and his eyelids were slowly closing in slumber. What a peaceful child!
We went out to get in the car and Maxine came out afterward to apologise to Dan. He was busy installing the car seat for the baby and she came to me first. She was sobbing still and so I held her.
"I hate my mother," she said. "I hate her for leaving me alone to go out with her friends. I used to get so scared all alone."
Maxine did not enjoy a happy childhood, Ms J. Her mother is an alcoholic who neglected her daughter.
After appropriate apologies and heartfelt hugs, off we went to Pat's. Just my kids and I. And my grandson.
I do not have words strong enough to express my joy at being out with my three favourite young people. My daughter, my son, and my grandson. It was a good visit, albeit a short one.
We dropped Dan and David back home later and Scout and I returned to Mimico.
Today, we'll resume our quest for the right outfit to wear to a grade eight graduation. Wish us luck, Ms J.
***

4 Comments:
Uh oh.
Firstly, i am so thrilled to hear that Dan is loving being a dad! And by the sounds of it, a responsible one....fabulous!
I wish Maxine had a caring positive role model, to comfort her, counsel her etc. Sadly Megan is a little young and Kelly.....
Maxine sounds as though she fears every time Dan goes out without her, he may not come back...perhaps a fear of meeting other girls? I wonder if he just tries to pop out for 15 mins every so often, just to gain Maxines trust, she may feel more peace and trust...just a thought :o)
That was lots of drama, but seemed to end up more or less OK. Maybe with time Maxine will be able to change her feelings of fear when Dan leaves her, and know that he's a good man and will be coming back to her.
The first time I let the first baby go without me was with my mom. It was not easy.
I never even got out of the house for the first three months after my first was born and the night I did I called home four times during dinner.
The mate and I also had a problem with leaving one of us behind if what we were doing was fun for both of us. I hated being left out and so did he.
Was he ashamed of me? Did I want him to stay home because I would have more fun without him? It hurt every time - until we decided we both went or we both stayed home unless the other didn't WANT to go.
Early days in a relationship are hard to work through with all the first time conflicts to resolve.
I am with the girl on this one. She is Dan's wife and mother of the grand and deserves to be included as FAMILY, not as someone we only take when we have to.
I think it was wrong to leave her out. How would you feel if your WHOLE new family was going and they left you behind AND took your young baby with them?
I am trying to put myself in her young, inexperienced, worried about a new child and newer mate place. I would not have pitched such a fit about it. I would have just said that if my child is going, I am going or the child stays here.
The protest was over the top but I believe she had the right to expect to be included.
Now I confess - I hope I have the players right here. I tend to get the names of who is which confused. If I have it wrong and Maxine is not mother of your new grand baby then please delete me and get my foot out of my mouth.
Post a Comment
<< Home