Today
Good afternoon, Ms J.
I thought I'd be waking this morning with Meagan in the house, but I guess The Universe had other plans. It sucks, quite frankly, when I don't get what I want. But I can take some comfort in the belief that I'm getting what I need. Or perhaps I'm simply feeling the shock waves inherent in someone else getting what they need. Whatever it is, it stings a little.
I think I'll take a stroll around the 'hood. Maybe visit the grocery store. It's a gorgeous day here in Mimico. Sunny and 9C. Strange weather. It feels more like April than January. It's not that I'm pining for the bitter cold and blowing snow that defines Canadian winter, Ms J. I'm enjoying the milder temperatures. But it just seems so bizarre. Winter is not over yet, though. I'm sure February and March will offer up some cold and snow, more typical of a Toronto winter.
I'm going this evening to a party. A citizenship party. An acquaintance of mine, Nick, recently became a Canadian citizen. He and his wife, Chelsea are from South Africa. They came to Canada to escape the violent crime so ubiquitous in South Africa. I want to shake Nick's hand and offer my congratulations on becoming a citizen of my country.
I wonder how it feels to relinquish the citizenship of your native country?
Personally, Ms J, I can't imagine it.
***


3 Comments:
I could never imagine giving up my "Aussieness", i think it's what defines me amongst everyone else. Still, i hear so many immigrants to Australia that become naturalised say they are proud to becoome Australians because of the life and 2nd chance they've been given here. It must be a difficult decison to make coming from a war torn country or a country full of poverty.
It sucks, quite frankly, when I don't get what I want.
I hear ya man. :)
The land of our birth defines us in so many ways. One must suffer or fear a great deal to give this up. Let us hope we do not let them down.
Post a Comment
<< Home