Thinking Warm Thoughts ...
... is not enough. I need a new furnace.
I just spoke to a man at Sipco Fuels, a Canadian company that offers petroleum products for, among other things, home comfort. My friend and neighbour, Joan, recommends them. Joan was a big help to me months ago when I needed to visit the physiotherapist regularly. She took me to the hospital too, for my appointments with Dr. Roscoe. Remember?
"Good afternoon. Sipco."
"Hello," I said. "I need some home comfort. Badly. Can you help me?"
The man laughed. And I explained further.
"Do you think I might benefit from a new furnace?" I asked, finally.
"How old is your furnace?" he said.
I told him it had once been a coal furnace, converted many years ago to burn oil.
"Then I can guarantee you'll benefit from a new one. I installed a new furnace in my own home last winter. It replaced a furnace that was twenty-four years old. We're saving up to ... are you ready for this? ...up to $200 per month. PER MONTH! I'm not kidding."
I was astounded, Ms J. $200 per month? It sounded almost too good to be true. Yeah. Come to think of it now, it does seem a bit exaggerated. But what the hell? The furnace I have is old. It's bound to be inefficient.
"How much does a new furnace cost?" I asked him. I was shocked by his answer.
"About $5000."
"Really? I didn't think it would be that much."
"Yeah. About five grand," he said. "Give or take."
They don't have a monthly payment plan, so I'll have to borrow from the bank. That's OK. I'll pay it off in a year or two. Probably two. And I'll tell my fuel oil supplier that I want to enroll in their "equal billing" plan. That way, I'll get a fuel bill every month, instead of only for seven months or so. Spread the cost throughout the entire year.
Yes. I think that might be more manageable. And I'd have a furnace that would last for another fifty years. The man - his name is Bob - is coming over tomorrow afternoon.
***

5 Comments:
Excellent! Expensive but good in the long run.
I suggest you take what you save each month from the heating bill (or a portion of it) and put it toward paying off the new loan. :)
The first time it freezes and when you get that first full heating bill, I'll bet you'll be even more excited to have your new heater. And it's probably cheaper now than say during a cold snap!
Congratulations, Dale!
That's a smart buy. You'll be warmer this winter and have more money left over.
Do you think "Bob" does air condtioners too? Not like Debbie does Dallas, but i mean fixes them, coz i am melting away here!
I'm already feeling cosy for you ...
Post a Comment
<< Home