A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, October 29, 2005

A Full Day

I had a busy day today. I spent the morning at a workshop. No, not that kind of workshop. There was no sawdust or loud machines. It was a workshop to learn how to supervise a student minister of The United Church of Canada. We have an intern minister at our church. Her name is Carla and she's absolutely wonderful. We're delighted to have her. I'm on the lay supervisory committee, along with Carla and four other women. I'm thrilled to be part of something I think is important. We're working with Carla to help her become the best minister she can be. She's learning from us. And we're learning from her. It's really quite interesting. The workshop was really called "The Toronto Conference Committee on Internship and Supervised Ministry Orientation Event." But I prefer "workshop."

We met with teams from five other churches and discussed methods and problems of supervising a student minister. We learned about the internship process and about conflict resolution. We shared stories and enjoyed a fabulous lunch.

You know, Ms J, sometimes I wonder if I might like to become a minister. But I'm reluctant to make such a huge career change at this point in my Life. I'm 47 years old. Could I return to school and get a Master of Divinity degree? Could I afford to do it? Oh man, I'm getting butterflies in my stomach even as I ponder it! Maybe I'll just keep driving a train and go to church on Sunday and sit in the pews.




This afternoon, I went over to Cyril's house. Cy is a friend and neighbour. It was Cy who played the guitar and sang with me at church last summer. Cy had company already when I arrived. His mate, Jeff, was there. Jeff plays the guitar too. And Michelle. Michelle likes to sing. So Cy and Jeff played and Michelle and I sang. We sang Bob Dylan. We sang Buddy Holly. And The Band. And we drank beer. It was brilliant, Ms J! I hated to come home.

My Life. I'm still lovin' it! Tomorrow, it's dinner with Meagan. Maybe Dan too.

G' night, Ms J.

***

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

As you know, i am 42. I started this degree a couple of years back, i don't have too much longer left and i have just signed up for a BA in Terrorism and Counter Terrorism. If anyone is living proof of working and studying i am! I also do it successfully ( although at times i wonder LOL). Don't let anything stop you Dale if you want to study, go right ahead. My best friends mum went back to school in her 60's and completed a diploma in theology! Go for it if it excites you :o)

30 October 2005 at 06:28  
Blogger gemmak said...

If you want to do it Dale go for it, you know in your heart you can do it. I can really see you being a minister actually :o)

Lol, its it ok for an agnostic to be friends with a minister? heh.

30 October 2005 at 12:31  
Blogger PBS said...

I too went back to school as an adult to finish my degree. If you really want it, go for it!

The workshop, and later friends, beer and singing all sound like they were fun!

30 October 2005 at 19:24  
Blogger Paul said...

47, divorced, two children, work experience -- sounds like you have some life behind you that gives you a perspective that young adults can't have and that everyone needs. Ignore the butterflies!

3 November 2005 at 12:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home