A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Bad News? Or good?

I went to visit Dr. Roscoe this morning. I'd hoped he might give me a couple more weeks at home before sending me back to work. Yesterday afternoon, I pottered about in the garden for an hour, then I mowed the lawn. When I came inside to rest, my foot was swollen grotesquely and it ached like hell. My lower leg was quite tender too, around the site of the fracture. Until yesterday, it had been feeling pretty good. Even Barbara declared I could return to work in a week or so.

The doctor observed my swollen foot and asked what I'd been doing. I told him what I'd done yesterday.

"Well the x-ray looks great," he told me. "The bone is fine. It's the rest of it that still needs TLC. It seems clear that you're not up to par just yet. Come back and see me in six weeks."

"But when can I go back to work, Doc?" I asked.

"I know you're anxious to get back on the train, Dale, but honestly, if you can't stand on your leg for an hour without it becoming swollen and painful, and you can't walk without limping, ..."

He stared at me with those brown eyes of his and reluctantly, I nodded my head in agreement. He was right.

"You've got money coming in and your mortgage is covered. Why not relax and enjoy the summer?"

I felt a little disappointed, Ms J. I was hoping to return to work early in July. But you know what? If the doctor says stay home, then I guess I'll have to stay home. I'll have to continue to sleep late every morning. I'll have to continue socializing and singing and drinking and having fun.

At least until August 2, when I visit the doctor again.


So I called Girl Alex and together, we went to the beach.

Today marks the summer solstice. The longest day of the year, and the first official day of summer. I can walk, Ms J. I can drive. My kids are alright. And I don't have to work until August sometime. I'm off now for dinner and a swim at Kirk and Rey's. Life is brilliant!

***

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When you're not too very sick, it can be good to be sick.

21 June 2005 at 19:34  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

A summer off!! Nice gig, if you can get it! 'Course I don't envy the REASON for the summer off, but I do feel a twinge of envy for the lazy days the doctor prescribed!

21 June 2005 at 22:28  
Blogger Michelle said...

You lucky sausage! It was freezing here today. I'd be jelous but i know the reason your off is a painful one.

22 June 2005 at 02:09  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Sounds good to me! Enjoy. :)

22 June 2005 at 02:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale:

Just wanted to say I'm glad your life is coming together again. I've been reading your blog a lot in the past few months, and suffering vicariously! Take it easy.

23 June 2005 at 17:44  
Blogger taza said...

My 2 cents: have you tried comfrey poutices? Massage would be a good idea as well.

So would alternating hot (moist) and cold (ice) compresses, ending with cold. Keep the moist heat on for 10-15 minutes, the ice on for 5-7.

I use a bag of frozen peas for my ice packs--they are cheap, refreezable, and mold around an area easily. (Plus, if you are so inclined, you can eat the peas after your treatment. LOL.)

I can't help it, I'm a massage therapist and know how long it can take for a bad break to heal.

27 June 2005 at 20:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home