Saturday Morning Update
Hello Ms J.
Sorry I haven't written lately. I've been busy doing nothing and doing without. There are two things I'd like to write about today, before my leg begins to throb and I'm forced to return to my recliner chair downstairs: Dan is the first on my mind.
Dan's assistance has been ... adequate this past week. I have not starved. But it is the very nature of a teen to be selfish. Dan is a teen. He is 18, but in many ways, younger. On Monday, I rose at 8:00 after a sleepless night, and descended the hardwood stairs. On my bum. One step at a time. Like a toddler. I hopped painfully to a chair and there I sat until nearly noon when The Boy finally crawled out of his bed of tangled sheets and cat hair.
I explained my predicament (disgusted that I should have to) and he promised to set his alarm and rise earlier. 10:00. For my part, I'll do my best to stay in bed a bit later. I am the kind of person who likes to have coffee and breakfast soon after waking. I will adjust to Dan's (now modified) schedule.
Dan does whatever I ask of him. He's really good that way. And he doesn't complain. Much. But he does things in his own way, in his own time. He does NOTHING without being asked.
Dan washes the dishes. He hates it, but he does it. Once a day. Upon rising in the morning. Sometimes, he lets things pile up a bit and tidies up every second day. I hate this. I like a clean kitchen. I like a clean house. Dan is perhaps the laziest man I have ever met. It wouldn't surprise me if one day he married a pregnant woman. OK. That's a bit extreme. But he IS lazy.
He leaves recyclables at the top of the cellar stairs until the mess spills out onto the kitchen floor. Why not carry a few items each time you go into the cellar, Dan? He prefers to warm food in the oven, because it's "too much bother" to transfer the food into a non-metal container and add a few drops of water before putting it in the microwave. I eat a lot of unnecessarily dry food. He makes me coffee in the morning. Not drip coffee from the coffee maker, the way I like it, no. "Too much bother." I get instant coffee. Yuck!!
"Damn, boy!" I tell him. "This coffee's wicked strong. Did you use just one teaspoon?"
"There's no more clean spoons, Dad," he hollers from the kitchen. "I just grab the jar and dump some into yer cup."
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .......
I am adjusting. I will adjust. And I am grateful for his help. I am, and I tell him so. My home and my Life will return to normal in 6 - 8 weeks.
I worry every time he goes out, but to the best of my knowledge, Dan's been drugfree all week.
There was something else I wanted to write about, Ms Journal: The generosity of friends and family. It's been awesome, I say. Awesome!
I'll write about it later, though. My foot is swollen and throbbing in rhythm with my shin. Oh, and I'll tell you about my visit last Tuesday to the fracture clinic. I have to return there again next Tuesday.
Arse down now. Foot up. Where the hell did I leave that remote control?

7 Comments:
It's tough having to rely on someone else's goodwill for everything and, as you say, teenagers are, by nature, self-centred. Hope things get better soon. Keith could join you at the moment. He has been in agony for the last 2 weeks with a bad ulcer on his foot. He has vein problems in his legs and so is susceptible to ulcers.
It must be hard to have to rely on someone else and his 'nursing' technique could do with a little more practice but at least he's helping. Nag him gently now and then and maybe you will at least get real coffee :o)
Hope the leg stops throbbing soon, take care you and you must tell us what Jen makes you to eat :o) xx
Dale i am peeing myself at the "woman pregnant" and the coffee....i am sure in a few months time when life returns to somewhat normality you will too.
Wow! Thanx, everyone! Butterfly, I believe you really would make me coffee if you lived closer. I'd leave the door unlocked. Jenny, so sorry to hear about poor Keith. It must be painful for him to sit with his feet hanging down. Is he able to work at all? Jennefer, I hope to visit Mum and Dad late next week. I'll call you. Thanx, Wash Lady, for your good vibes, but please don't send them out across the waves. I'm up north. In Canada. Hi Scottie. Yeah, I nag him gently. Very gently. He's really got me over a barrel. I want to remain in his good books so I don't go hungry.
And Michelle, how'r things down under? "Peeing myself"? Good gracious girl, I certainly hope not! Anyway, my drinking days are over.
as you know.. you are very much loved my friend.. and here's some possible ideas for self entertainment..
1. train yer computer for voice recognition... it's in all the microsoft office programs, and as an actor i think you'd have fun orating mightily to train it.. end result being you can email or blog anywhere a microphone can pick up your voice...
and or try stocking up your music library on the computer by downloading music as you like it..
No Way. My nephew, who lived with me until he was 20, is the lazest "kid" on earth. We could exchange them and never know the difference. well, other than, about two years ago I cut the rope. Long story short Josh is now living in a motel room with several other "kids," is miserable and finally said "hey, I think I'd better go to school or this will be my life!" DUH. He'll be 23 tomorrow and we have him signed up for welding school. Something that as a guitar playing, "bad" musician who works retail for minimum wage, I'd never have guessed but Steven thought of it because Steven noticed Josh was always dragging something out of the trash - scooters, etc. and trying to fix them. So, he finally "got" it but I had to let go and risk his falling off the edge. My mother kept "fixing" stuff for Josh, The tickets, etc. because she'd say "they're only going to get worse" Well, he needed it all to get worse. He needed to understand that he was wasting his life. blah blah I know you know all this. I wish you lived closer and I'd make you a big pot of spaghetti or chili. My only two "pots of stuff" I can make. I wonder but there must be some reason you are left with Dan to care for you. God only knows why. And, I mean that literally. But, there must be something. THere just must. Love you Dale and I was relieved to see you'd come by and updated. This too will pass...
I just stopped by for a "visit" to see how things are, I guess they could be better. Or worse. Glad you're on the mend anyway. Stay strong.
Post a Comment
<< Home