A middle-aged WASP examines his Life, his heart and his home. Sometimes it all makes perfect sense. Not lately, though.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, February 04, 2005

I Feel Like Such a Fool


"Hi. My name's Dale. My son is addicted to marijuana."


He's at it again. Or still. I went out to the shed this morning to gather up the trash bags and carry them to the curb. The air in there stank of stale cigarette smoke. Dan has a lawn chair and a little table set up out there so he can sit and smoke. The shed is without windows or electric lights and he has a candle on his tobacco shrine. It stands next to an ashtray which holds a great disgusting mound of filthy cigarette butts.

As I looked around the shed in search of plastic trash bags, I spied a small plastic bottle on a wide board above the rafters. It was still half full of water, however the water was now brown from nicotine and frozen hard. I climbed up on Dan's chair to retrieve it.

On the board, hidden from sight, were three other plastic bottles. Each one had been jury-rigged in some way to make it suitable for use as an aid to smoking marijuana or hashish. Each one was punctured to allow the smoke in. I'm assuming he'd then put his lips around the neck of the bottle and inhale the toxic cloud. I put all four bottles in the trash and moments later, watched the garbage men toss the bag in the truck.

I feel so stupid, Ms. J. I've been duped. Lied to. Tricked. Dan has told me he hasn't used any drugs since the butane incident and I've believed him. I've trusted him. I believed him because I want to believe him. I need to believe that my son is not hopelessly addicted to drugs. Even though I've been warned by both Dr. Cirone and Marsha Elman, the social worker, I still persisted in trusting him. He's been helpful around the house, doing housework every day for me. I know now that the only reason he does anything here is so I'll pay him his weekly allowance. $20. He has no other source of income so I must therefore assume that he uses that money to buy drugs. But where? And from whom?

I can't watch him every minute. I go to work in the afternoon for four hours. Dan's alone here from 3:00 til 7:15 every day. Yesterday, he told me he'd found a guitarist for his band. There is no band, Ms J. The boy hasn't the slightest clue how to play his guitar. But he fantasizes about having a rock band. I don't discourage him, but neither do I encourage him. I just try to listen and let him talk. It's harmless, I think. Besides, I think it's good to have dreams. I had dreams too, when I was his age.

So he told me he'd met someone at the used CD store around the corner. Dan visits there almost daily. He told me he's going to get a job there at Dave's Discs. "Soon."

"Yeah, Dad. The guy's name's Trevor. He's a bit older than me. Twenty-one or two. Something like that. And he's an awesome guitarist."

"How do you know that, Dan?" I asked. "Did you hear him play?"

"Yeah. We went over to his place after and I had a couple of beers. Just a couple, Dad. And he played for me. So he's in my band. Yup. We have a guitarist now."

I smiled and nodded, Ms Journal. But I didn't like the sound of it. Trevor. Older. Gives Dan alcohol. Musicians are notorious pot-smokers, aren't they? I looked at Dan's eyes and they didn't look quite right. I can't explain it, exactly. But they just didn't look right somehow. I didn't want to accuse him of using drugs unless I was certain. And I wasn't certain. He seemed OK. But as I think about it now, I don't trust that he didn't smoke up with Trevor.

Today's plan was for me to give Dan his $20. ("and a pack of smokes") and to drive him to Acton and collect Meagan after work this evening. Meagan will spend the weekend here with me, and Dan will stay a few days with his mum. Come to think of it, he was VERY anxious to get to Acton. He asked if I could take him there around noon today. "Meagan has been sick. She might still be home from school. You can drop me off early and get Meagan early."

He also asked if he could take a couple of bottles of water with him. Now I understand why he wants the bottles. And why he wants his allowance. And why he can't wait to get back to Acton.

The bottles are on their way to the dump. And he will NOT be getting his allowance this week. He lied to me. I don't like being lied to. I've been more than fair, I think. I've worked really hard to get him into various treatment programmes. I've had to take time off work to do it. I bought him a set of weights. A guitar. I honour his privacy. But he lies to me.

I'm very disappointed. And I'm pissed right off. Dan's still in bed. I'm going to confront him when he gets up. I'll do my best to remain calm. I'll tell him I do not allow drugs or drug appliances in my home or on my property. I am intractable on this issue.

I'm afraid of Dan's reaction. And I'm afraid of my reaction to Dan's reaction.


7 Comments:

Blogger magz said...

I'm here.

4 February 2005 at 11:55  
Blogger Sarah said...

Is it possible that paraphernalia was there from before and he honestly hasn't used it in a while?

4 February 2005 at 16:04  
Blogger Melodee said...

This brings me back memories of my sister's struggle with addiction. Hang in there.

4 February 2005 at 17:55  
Blogger Zette said...

I thought the same as Sarah, above, that maybe the bottles might have been from BEFORE. Even if they are, he's had plenty of time to dispose of them, and the fact would still remain that he lied about it. I wish you lots of luck and hope your confrontation went better than expected.

Glenn has a tendency, (one that I mostly attribute to immature males), to "need" specific instructions, which most of us take to be simple common sense. For instance, you tell him "NO drugs allowed in MY house", he figures the shed doesn't count, and so uses that as his place to light up. Crazy, but maybe a possibility.

Take care Dale, and I'll be thinking of y'all.

5 February 2005 at 00:04  
Blogger mrhaney said...

here is what i have to say about marijuana. i am 60 years old and i do not smoke it and never have. i have had lots of opportunities to though. my grown son has smoked it and i think still does. my wife and i told him he could not smoke it on our property. he has come to visit a lot of times smelling of marijuana. one year he hurt his leg and he could not work or pay for his apartment so we took him in. his mother took care of him till he was well and we said he could stay here for a while till he found a job and saved some money. he was here with us for a year. we did not charge him for rent or utilities. one day my wife went to use the restroom and she came in to the bedroom and said to me, "come here." when i walked in to our hallway i could smell marijuana coming from his bedroom. i opened the door and there he stood. the bedroom was reaking of the smell. after having him with us for a year he had to smoke in our house. that was just so much disrespect to me and his mother i could not beleive he would do that. anyway i pointed my finger at him and said, when i get home from work tomorrow i want you and your stuff to be out of my house. he started to say he was sorry but i was not having none of it. well thats my story. so i know how you feel. it is bad enough that they are smoking the stuff but to look you straight in the face and lie it is almost to much to take. we have 4 grown children so we are use to different problems around here but all in all it is our house and our children need to respect that.

6 February 2005 at 00:28  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Hi Dale
I have been following your blog for quite some time now, and my heart goes out to you as you walk this path with your son. I haven't commented before because I have never had to deal with a drug addicted child or family member and felt I had no words of wisdom to offer you. I have prayed for you and your son many times though.

As I read this last post I could feel your pain and anger and despair and felt like I had to send a note just to let you know others are our here in cyber space pulling for you.

These thoughts are just what my feelings were after I read this blog - Your son is not doing this to you. It is not a personal attack on you or disrespect towards you. He is addicted! The drugs are ruling him and ordering his actions. You are talking to and reasoning with the drugs, not your son. Does he have some responsibility? Of course? Should you take a stand? Of course! Do you need divine wisdom and strength to deal with this and know what kind of a stand to take and what to do next? Absolutely!!!! Hang on, you are the perfect parent for this boy and you will get the wisdom and strength you need. He was sent to you, because you are the perfect parent for him.

I read of your son's struggle and can't even begin to imagine what he is going through with this addiction, but I do know how hard it is for any of us to say no to any “addiction” in our lives. I know how hard it is for me to say no to a cookie if I am trying to cut down and lose a pound or two. (And it is only a cookie for goodness sakes!) I set my mind and will and am determined to stay away from sugar and be "good" that day, but when the energy starts to droop after lunch and I have a cup of tea in my hand I have to fight to say no to the cookie. Often I lose.

If it is that hard for me to say no to a "cookie", I can't even begin to imagine the struggle and pull of an addictive drug. I don't think it can be done without professional detox and tough love mixed with understanding and compassion.

God help you Dale! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

6 February 2005 at 10:20  
Blogger Badpatty said...

Dale, you definitely help me to put things in perspective. I'm currently helping to raise three kids, two of them teenagers. I am being tested constantly, but not in the same ways that you are. I admire your fight and your determination to do right.

I stumbled onto you through Anvilcloud and Lonersridge, and I'm glad that I did. Keep your chin up. Love your life. As I keep telling myself, "This, too, shall pass."

9 February 2005 at 10:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home